changed jobs

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

sistoall
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

changed jobs

Post by sistoall »

I recently changed jobs, went to another Indepent Agency.

What I am wondering is if there is anything wrong with contacting clients that I wrote while employed at my old Agency?

They are either people that called into the Agency, and I answered the call, or people that came to that specific agency specifically to see if I could save them money on their current premiums.

Thank you in Advance, as any advice is greatly appreciated!
insurancebee
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insurancebee »

I don't think there is a problem with doing that, as long as you do it with class. By this I mean, don't down grade your previous employer, of course as you know, word of mouth travels fast and as soon as your customers find out where you have moved they are liable to come to you without you having to make any calls.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: changed jobs

Post by independent guy »

sistoall wrote:I recently changed jobs, went to another Indepent Agency.

What I am wondering is if there is anything wrong with contacting clients that I wrote while employed at my old Agency?

They are either people that called into the Agency, and I answered the call, or people that came to that specific agency specifically to see if I could save them money on their current premiums.

Thank you in Advance, as any advice is greatly appreciated!
Were you acting as a CSR or commission paid agent?
sistoall

Post by sistoall »

i was an agent, salary only no bonuses!
sistoall

Post by sistoall »

would it be better to mail letters to previous clients letting them know my new employer or just a quick phone call
jackweho

Post by jackweho »

If you were on salary, your allegience is to your employer. One way or the other, he paid for that business-either by paying you or generating the lead that directed the customer to the office. Nowhere did you state that you had any hand in soliciting the customer.
All that aside, where are your ethics? Forget the legality; you did nothing that another agent most likely could have done; what entitles you to solicit the renewal or additional business?
Wouldn't want you working for me in a salaried or commission-based capacity!
sistoall

Post by sistoall »

jackweho

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were on salary, your allegience is to your employer. One way or the other, he paid for that business-either by paying you or generating the lead that directed the customer to the office. Nowhere did you state that you had any hand in soliciting the customer.
All that aside, where are your ethics? Forget the legality; you did nothing that another agent most likely could have done; what entitles you to solicit the renewal or additional business?
Wouldn't want you working for me in a salaried or commission-based capacity!

Just for the record I worked my butt off for over 10 years for the previous employer only to be crapped on continually! And they never did anything to bring in business. They just sat back and watched as I wrote 99% of the business coming in the door, whether it was the phone calls or business that was referred to the agency by people that knew me. I just feel I owe it to the clients to let them know that I am still available to them in the same capacity, but at a different location.
houstonagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by houstonagent »

I think if you gave them good service as soon as they find out you have relocated they will follow.
At a business owner's point of view,I think it wouldn't be a good idea to call them to switch.I would feel that the agent is taking clients,but then agian if you worked hard for them and they are loyal they will go where the good service is at.
Last edited by houstonagent on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sistoall

Post by sistoall »

Again, all I want is for the clients that I sold and serviced to know that I am still around in the insurance business, & I dont want to be vendictive about it.
houstonagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by houstonagent »

Your right (sistoall) you dont want them to think you vanished.I understand your point.
Last edited by houstonagent on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

We had a salaried CSR leave recently and even though she might have written one policy in her entire time at the agency, she took down the name/address/phone number of everyone she talked to and has been mailing them and calling them. To us, that is a very unethical way of doing business. She wasn't willing to work very hard when she was here, and she's put more initiative into trying to take business than she ever did in her work here.

I believe its a bit different when you're writing policies, but I agree with others that as a salaried employee you shouldn't directly contact them. And this is regardless of how badly you might have been crapped on at that job. If the job was that bad to you, you should have found another one more quickly.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

sistoall wrote:Again, all I want is for the clients that I sold and serviced to know that I am still around in the insurance business, & I dont want to be vendictive about it.
I can certainly appreciate that. You don't have to contact them directly, there are other ways of advertising through which you could get exposure.
sistoall

Post by sistoall »

I am confused, how can you say a CSR wrote one policy?
In PA the only one that can write a policy is a licensed agent.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

change jobs

Post by wlunday »

From an employer's standpoint I'd say it is unethical to ACTIVELY solicit the accounts of the prior agency. Even if the owner didn't personally walk the account to your desk and introduce you, the agency did spend tens of thousands of dollars to advertise the fact that they had a qualified person (you) to attend client needs. Yellow pages ads by themselves cost agencies several thousand dollars a year, plus the newspapers, the radio, all the printed material like stationary, cards, and more. The old employer earned the right to make a buck off of you and the business you earned a salary putting on the books.

I assume you did not have a non-compete clause in your prior employment contract. If your NEW employer is smart, they'll include one in theirs!

That said, I do feel that the new employer should spend some money advertising the fact that you are now in his employ. This could be through the public advertising media as well as specific trade publications like the local contractor's association newsletter or the local realtor's association publications. Contacting your old "centers of influence" should also be done immediately if they don't already know where you are.

Finally, ask for a commission at the new job if you are doing more than acting as a licensed CSR. You'll get paid exactly what you are worth and if you feel "crapped on" it will be of your own doo-doo.