Selling insurance to illegal immigrants

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Nice Surplus Lines Broker
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Selling insurance to illegal immigrants

Post by Nice Surplus Lines Broker »

Yay or nay? What do you do if you know that proposed insured, say a person opening up an ethnic restaurant, is an illegal immigrant? Makes them a criminal, right?
Nice Surplus Lines Broker writing in PA, NJ, MD and DE. Specializing in hard to place property
accounts up to $10mm. in value; tough CGL other than residential construction.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

But if they're trying to do things right by purchasing insurance, who are you to act as the police? I'm sure I've sold auto insurance to a few illegals, better they wreck with insurance than without, right?
jinman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by jinman »

Although that is a tough one - I would tend to agree that as the insurance agent - you are not responsible for the legal status of your client.

How about this one - you have an existing client whom unbeknownst to you is hiring illegal employees. One of these employee's has a workers' compensation injury and the carrier determines that they are illegal and informs you. How do you handle that conversation? Injured employee is covered regardless in most states - but it is likely that he is not the only illegal working for your client...
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

If you sell insurance to an illegal you are supporting it.

Not only will I not sell to someone that is here illegally, my wife and I are moving our personal banking away from Bank of America due to their support of illegal immigration!!
MAG

Post by MAG »

Workers' Compensation, as has been said, in most states covers illegal aliens who suffer work related injuries. With that being said, when the insurer calls to advise that the injured employee is illegal, they will have, or will, tell the insured that the worker is illegal. You cannot fire that worker until he is released to work - at least for light duty. Under the workers' compensation statutes he is entitled to all compensation benefits when injured on the job. Once that illegal employee returns to work, the employer must at that time, terminate the employment or be in violation of the immigration laws. If an employer "knowingly" continues to employ or does employ a known illegal alien they (the insured) are in violation of immigration laws. Until such time as it has been proven that the employee is illegal, if the insured has all the required documents at the time of hire, he has not broken the rules because for all he knows the documents are authentic (until proven otherwise). It is not the responsibility of the insurance agent to require proof of residency for an insured's employees. We can "assume" he may have other illegal employees but we do not have the responsiblity to police that - that responsiblity is on the employer and the INS, not the agent.
As for insuring a business that you "assume" the owner is an illegal alien, until the applications requires proof of citizenship to obtain insurance, not much that can be done. I'm not saying its right, that's just how it is.
houstonagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by houstonagent »

I strongly believe that if the client is buying insurance being illegal or not is not really a big issue.I am an agent not an immigration patrol.Besides hes doing the right thing by getting insurance in the first place.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

This is a fine question. Brings out issues of legality, ethics, and fairness.

I talked with several friends about this. The best answer I got was, "I would not hire an illegal to work for me. I should not, therefore, work for an illegal.

Put issues of law aside. Would you do business with someone who's business / operation is offensive to you?

Adult Book Store?
Abortion Clinic?
Strip Club?
White Supremacists?
Satanic Cult?
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
houstonagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by houstonagent »

scott,

How can you compare someones legal status in the US with binding coverage for an Adult Book Store ,Abortion Clinic, Strip Club,White Supremacists, Satanic Cult? So if a person was not born in the US or came here illegal,then your saying we shouldnt sell to them because that makes you a supporter of immigrants?

That doesnt make sense,when someone walks in my office I dont ask them if they believe in GOD or do they like black people. I do what iam best at and thats help my clients get the best coverage and meet their needs,not ask about there legal status.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

I was not comparing the two. I was posing a different question.

Question 1 was would you do business with a known illegal. I answered no.

Question 2, would you do business with someone who's operation offends your sensibilities / beliefs.

Two separate questions. Sorry I was not clearer.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

I agree with Houston! Plus my agency is not her to make political statements it is here to make money. Illegal, legal, black, or white their money is all the same to me.
Always Be Closing!
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

I wonder if a grocery store is allowed to make the same choice. (Sell food to an illegal or decline to do so based on moral reservations)

The Immigration and Naturalization Service in our country has significant power. It's all up to them regarding the policing of immigration.

I have a better question for you. If this same person was a Canadian who spoke fluent English, wore a tie, and drove a nice car, but was operating on an expired visa, would you have the same moral reservations?
Chad Filley
Insurance Journal Addict

Supporting the Problem

Post by Chad Filley »

If you are selling to illegals you are supporting the problem regardless of the fact that the illegal is trying to do the right thing by getting insurance.
Insuring them for anything is provideing them anything is the reason people come here and stay here. See the link below to find out why this is a problem that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg on.

Just becuase someone is trying to do the right things doesn't allow for us to overlook the fact that they did something illegal to start with.

Example: I come home to find someone has broken into my house. They did this dishes, washed the clothes, clean the house. (all things i don't like to do) Now I am obligated to allow that person to live in my house regardless of the fact that they broke the law to get in my house.

If you don't view it that way, you don't view America as you house because the issue isn't directly effecting you yet.

See the link below.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8265&q=roy
Staff Brokers Inc.
Chad Filley
Sales Consultant
chad@staffbroker.net
44 SE 1st Ave
Suite 315
Ocala, FL 34471
tel: 352-369-0668 ext. 205
fax: 352-369-3163
mobile: 352-266-8441
http://www.staffbroker.net
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

selling to illegals

Post by volstrike3 »

I would not sell to an illeglal immigrant. I prefer to do business with honest companies that do everything above board and have a good chance to remain solvent for a long time. I don't want to insure taco stands, noodle shops, fly by night mechanics, contractors, etc. that pay employees in cash and don't go by the book. It is not that they are immigrants, it is that I don't want to spend time working with unstable businesses. Why write policies that are going to cancel mid term on a regular basis?
mhutch69
Insurance Journal Addict

What would DOI say?

Post by mhutch69 »

I wonder if I have the "RIGHT" to disciminate against an individual requesting to purchase auto insurance to comply with state laws?

What would the DOI tell this person if he filed a complaint due to my decision NOT to sell him coverage when I have markets which would accommodate his needs?

I know what they would say, discimination! Until the Federal Govt. outlaws selling coverage to any illegal alien, I will sell it to any individual who my markets can and want to insure.

Those who do not can refer any AZ or NV illegals to my offices. I thank you in advance. The retention on Hispanic clients is better than my legal residents lately.

Being a member of the Big I requires me to treat every client with respect and provide for their needs. I am sure the DOI in each state would have a problem if you stopped selling insurance to some group due to your policital beliefs.

What about Gays? I am not gay but would sell insurance to any person my markets desire to insure. Again, what would the DOI say? A licensed producer should leave their political beliefs at home.

The gov't might one day limit the incoming illegals from any country, but the ones already here might as well comply with the laws. I certainly appreciate if they do. I know when I am in their country, I comply with all laws at all times.

Again, send the business to my offices, I can sleep just fine in my new bed!
jtabosida
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jtabosida »

Who cares at least they're being frickin responsible unlike most of them. Remember at one point your parents were all illegal immigrants. Unless your American Indian. No offense I would rather sell to an illegal immigrant than a legal resident looking to commit fraud.