Agency Management Software

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

goodlogic
Insurance Journal Fan

Agency Management Software

Post by goodlogic »

Hi, I'm looking to open an independant agency and need to find a management software solution. Being small to begin with, I'm hoping not to spend a fortune to get started. Are there any reasonably prices ASP models out there which offer robust features and a pay-as-you-go charge model? Thanks for your help!

Walt Riser
Good Logic & Consulting
Walt Riser
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

agency software

Post by wlunday »

Walt, check out the AMS options. We've had them for 8+ years now and the staff / office mgr seem to like it. they have different options, of course, and you can arrange for automatic downloads from carriers. Saves a lot of input time. I'm not sure of the cost, but do know it is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to build and maintain my own system! I'm pretty sure they have a "price per workstation" type of fee, soo as you grow your staff the costs will change too. Good luck.

Swymmer
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

Look into QuickFile. The Enterprise version is pretty good for about $900.00 per year.
Always Be Closing!
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

There have been many different threads/discussions on this topic. Search the archives ... will be tons of info there.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

I recommend AMS360
ckelsoe
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by ckelsoe »

I would also recommend checking references and talking to agencies of similar size and markets as yours. Also ask for a trial so you can actually go in and play with the software.
Charles R Kelsoe
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Agency Management Software

Post by gregcw »

goodlogic wrote:Hi, I'm looking to open an independant agency and need to find a management software solution. Being small to begin with, I'm hoping not to spend a fortune to get started. Are there any reasonably prices ASP models out there which offer robust features and a pay-as-you-go charge model? Thanks for your help!

Walt Riser
Good Logic & Consulting
Walt,

I got my management system from Applied Systems in 1994. The reasons I chose Applied were that the monthly support fee included upgrades to newer versions. Most of the other systems were all WYSIWYG programs with a need to purchase the upgrade the same as if it was a new system. Some would be able to reconfigure your data for the upgrade others not. They were also able to work with some of the computer/workstations I already had, by just giving me the ethernet cards (now a standard feature in new computers). I was able to upgrade my equipment locally. That worked out real well until technology jumped from the old 486 to Pentium 4 real fast.

You will also need to be careful of selecting a local tech for the local support you'll need. My last tech was too far behind the times and was upgrading me to Pentium 1 when the state of the art was Pentium 3. When I did my last upgrade with Applied I needed Pentium 3 so I got all new hardware from Applied, ugrading the hardware to Pentium 4, Windows XP and Windows 2000 NT on the server from Windows 95 and a Novelle server.

I don't know what else is available now, since I haven't looked. A key thing to look for is migration of data to upgraded versions. One key with Applied in 1994 was that they were able to convert the data base I was using into their system. At that time I was using the Farmers Insurance Groups S.T.A.R.S. system (I am, very happily, an EX-Farmers agent) and then they could not convert any policy information. That was not a major concern because in that system all I had was current vehicle and driver information with not real policy history data stored. The policy history on the computer is a key to saving time and work in keeping files off your desk for reference.

Also, in todays technology, being able to upload and download into companies internet sites. Applied is able to do that. They also are able to host your data base. I haven't used that because I personally am not comfortable relying on a third parties server.

I think this gives you some things to think about.

Greg Wells, CIC
TheInsKid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by TheInsKid »

My suggetion is go to this website:
http://www.ultimateinsurancelinks.com/
Search on vendors, there you will find just about every company that has a software system available for agencies.
It is one of the best search sites for insurance stuff that I have used.
Good luck,

:lol: :lol:
HurricanAlley
Insurance Journal Fan

Management systems

Post by HurricanAlley »

Walt,

I went with Applied Systems about a year ago and just love it. I looked into AMS and Nexsure also. Here are some of the things that swayed me to pick Applied.
1. Over 60% of the Best Practice agencies in the U.S. are using Applied.
2. Applied has won the ACORD download and upload Vendor of the year for 12 straight years. Which means better and more reliable transfer of data between your system and your company systems. Huge time saver.
3. I checked references, many references and not just the ones the sales rep gave me. I asked my company reps to give me some names and that really helped get the true story.
4. I found out that since early 1980's Applied has not charged for upgrades to their system while on support. AMS charged their agents more license fees to move from Frontier, Pioneer, Pathfinder, add PS4, AFW etc.
5. Reports are numerous and customizable to my needs.
6. I have found that most of the csr's I hire are from Applied agencies because there are many in my area. That's a plus for me.
7. Great integration with Microsoft Excel and Word for letters and proposals. Also a great activity/followup system, it's automatic, no thinking, no errors.
8 I knew I could find cheaper systems out there, but in my mind I only wanted to go through this once. I knew that to change systems the cost to re-train, agency disruption and convertion of data would be costly. I knew getting the right system the first time would save me money in the long run. A good system should pay for itself over and over again.

I could go on but I'm very happy with Applied Systems and the training we recieved and their real time support is excellent. Best and last advice is check references from outside the vendors recomendations.

Good luck.