Top 5

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

jinman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Top 5

Post by jinman »

I am interested in thoughts regarding what services different agents out there are offering clients that may be seen as differentiating factors. What makes what you might do different from what the guy next door is doing and so on.

My point here is that we all are in this business to succeed - but what is actually making you successful? What have you found that works for you?
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Top 5

Post by InsAgentSF »

For those owners that bring me the premium 40,000 or more, i buy free pass to a stripclub. First lap dance is also on me
houstonagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by houstonagent »

InsAgentSF,

If I buy homeowners from you, do I also get free passes?

I always send out "thank you for your business"letters,that seems to work pretty good.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Yeap, buy one get one free :)
Broker4U
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Broker4U »

Strip Club??? Your choice or mine?? (Of Club)
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Depends on the account
jinman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by jinman »

Contrary to the obvious nature of the responses, this was a serious question.

Thought that it would be interesting to find out how the rest of the world finds the needs of their prospective clients.

Though the strip club situation would certainly work for some of my customers.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

I guess nobody else is going to jump in, so I will.

I see 5 traditional ways to differentiate an insurance agency:

--Constant improvement in service standards - longer office hours and weekends, faster response times "" meeting the client's expectations.

--Value-added services "" building valuation, loss control, claims management, non-insurance services"¦

--Greater community visibility "" advertising and publicity

--Access to unique insurance markets "" a workers' compensation insurer nobody else has.

--Industry specialization in commercial lines "" metal workers, hospitals, nursing homes, hospitality.

I choose a different course. I stopped selling insurance policies and started providing help and advice for a fee as an insurance consultant. I have removed the question of commissioned sales from the schema of the insurance buyer. I work as a Fortune 1000 risk manager works "" but, in smaller companies. I assist the buyer by working with agents "" from the buyer's side of the table.

Insurance agents also can differentiate themselves by changing the way they are paid. There is a segment of the insurance buying public that would rather pay advisors/agents a fee instead of commissions "" removing a conflict perceived by many insurance buyers. The challenge is to find that segment and find an attractive value proposition for them.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Top 5

Post by robmejia »

If you have a strong set of clientèle, they will be a good source of referrals. People often purchase a policy from someone referred to them by a friend or a relative. Being a smooth talker, of course, works wonders too. :)