Certificate of Insurance Tracking - Access or Excel Database

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Certificate of Insurance Tracking - Access or Excel Database

Post by Big Dog »

I'm working for the risk management department of a regional hospital. We're looking for a basic database (Excel or Access) to help track the COI's with our vendors.

Does anyone know of where a sample (or free) database might be available?
ckelsoe
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by ckelsoe »

I do not know of a tool to do this. What details are you thinking the system should track? Depending on the complexity and my schedule I **may** be able to put together something for you.

Charles
Charles R Kelsoe
Risky Steve
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Risky Steve »

My old agency had used an IT person to set this up online. I don't know the specifics, but it looked very much like it was from Access. It was a great tool and since it was online, anybody authorized could go in and do updates and view the information.
Bill@Ins-Cert
Insurance Journal Fan

Insurance Certificate Tracking

Post by Bill@Ins-Cert »

If you only have a small number of incoming certificates, a spreadsheet or database solution will work, but it you get more than 30 or so, it gets tiresome. The more data you copy from certificates, the better tracking you get, but it also takes longer to copy and increases the risk of mistakes.
There are a number of software programs that make it easier to enter data from paper certificates, and some allow you to enter your insurance requirements so the system can check for compliance.
There is a better solution - let your vendors' insurance agents enter the data for you, directly over the internet, and let the system verify compliance with over 100 insurance requirements. Go to http://www.Ins-Cert.com and press "Click here to learn more" under the "Certificate Holder" paragraph, or call 303/346-3889 for a demonstration.
Bill
William R. Hartigan, CIC, ARM, AAI
Ins-Cert Cororation - Denver
(303) 346-3889
(303) 877-3863 cell
wrh@Ins-Cert.com
lallen
Insurance Journal Fan

Certificate Tracking

Post by lallen »

We at Artizan have a Certificate Tracking Software solution currently in use with many companies around the country.
Our easy to use Certificate Tracking program enables end users to enter information about the certificates they take in from others. Information includes Cert providers Name and Address, coverage and carrier information. The end user can notify certificate provider(s) when the expiration date is approaching and request the new certificate or generate an email to all providers whose certificate has expired amongst many other features.

Visit http://www.artizan.com and click "contact us" and I'll walk you through the product's features.
Laurie Allen
Artizan Internet Services
http://www.artizan.com
860-925-6020 ext 129
lallen@artizan.com
krlarkin
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by krlarkin »

My firm provides an internet based service for certificate tracking.

Call kevin at 301-263-6609.
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

word of caution to users of these outside services. If THEY control the data....be sure of what they do with the information. In the case of one of the posters, he is a active insurance agent. If they control the data that means you have just given a potential competitor of yours a very good x-date list from which they can work from. And at the same time you (or your client) is paying them!

If this is a software program that is based on your own server...you do not have this situation.

If this is an internet based program...situation still exists.

Having said that...I think every one of us could utilize a good program like this.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the issues related to using an outside vendor, which is why we're not even considering them. We need to keep all of the data inhouse due to HIPAA and internal controls/requirements.

We also set the guidelines as to coverage requirements depending upon tye type of contract.

Right now, there's no tracking system in place. I'm in the process of putting basic data (vendor/client name, expiration date, and if there's a current cert). I'll probably massage the data and try and create a simple Access database. We just need a way to track which certs are due each month and to be able to follow-up for them when necessary.

Thanx for all your input.
Bill@Ins-Cert
Insurance Journal Fan

Insurance Certificate Tracking

Post by Bill@Ins-Cert »

Pita3333 - Thanks for the endorsement of Ins-Cert.com, but your concern about conflict of interest is not warrented. My insurance agency does not use any data submitted to Ins-Cert.com, and the Agency Service Agreement between Ins-Cert Corporation and participating agencies specifically guarantees that. If you are an agent, you know that accounts are won through relationships and service, not by knowing an ex-date.
Bill
William R. Hartigan, CIC, ARM, AAI
Ins-Cert Cororation - Denver
(303) 346-3889
(303) 877-3863 cell
wrh@Ins-Cert.com
Rick_Lopez
Insurance Journal Fan

Insurance Tracking Services

Post by Rick_Lopez »

If you are interested in either outsourcing or monitoring your own certificates of insurance, there are many options available to you.

1) A web enabled system that is controlled by the user. This type of platform will require the user to input all data and control when notices are sent. Keep in mind the person who will be responsible for inputting data, as garbage in garbage out results can leave you potentially exposed.

2) You can purchase a software program to help streamline the process of certificate tracking. Consider the fact that an expensive software program will be of no benefit if you use unskilled staff to input data.

3) Create an Excel Spreadsheet or Access Database to track your own certificates of insurance. While cheaper than commercially developed software, the downside is that there are many variables that come into play when reviewing certificates and monitoring compliance. This type of system may not be able to adequately track all of your insurance requirements or ancillary documents.

4) Outsourcing the monitoring of your certificates of insurance is the best alternative to Option 1, 2 & 3. Consider the cost savings in not having to employ additional staff or purchase costly software programs. If you elect to hire a professional consultant to perform your certificate tracking, be sure they can deliver results according to your level of expectation. Accuracy is extremely important when it comes to tracking certificates, be sure to evaluate the methods used to avoid inaccuracies or inconsistencies in the vendor's system. Also, be sure to check client references, staffs' level of expertise and training received.

Ultimately, insurance tracking is one of the most important components to an effective risk transfer program. Explore your options and choose a model that is in alignment with your organization's risk management practices, policies and procedures.

-Rick Lopez, CEO, CTO, President & Founder
Rick Lopez
Insurance Tracking Services, Inc. (ITS)
200 Oceangate, Suite 1560
Long Beach, CA 90802
Ph: (562) 435-2955 - Fax: (562) 435-2999
Web: http://www.instracking.com
E-Mail: Rick@instracking.com
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

Given our size, the number of certificates we have to track, and our distain for outsourcing, this is something we'd never consider.

I've already created an Access database that we're using.
paulkallol
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Certificate of Insurance Tracking - Access or Excel Database

Post by paulkallol »

Have you ever considered a Self service ASP solution for your tracking needs? We have both the full-service and self service model being used by more than 600 clients nationwide.
Ebix pioneered outsourced insurance certificate monitoring services during the mid 1990's and today remains the single largest provider of this service found anywhere in the world.
You can visit http://www.ebix.com/channel_bpo.aspx and have a look at both solutions. Depending on your volume i can send you a price estimate as well. Feel free to ask me for a demo as well. Thanks, Paul

Paul Kallol
678-281-2023
Email: kpaul@ebix.com
Cary White
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Certificate of Insurance Tracking - Access or Excel Data

Post by Cary White »

This is an excellent topic and one which is faced by many. Unfortunately it presumes a number of basic things that the person receiving the insurance certificate knows what to check and has resources/time to evaluate changing information like the AM Best ratings of the carriers noted.

While you may not be interested in outsourcing your insurance certificate tracking, there are a number of terrific self service solutions including http://www.certaincert.com/ that are easy to use, customizeable and can be either installed on your system or hosted. Systems like CertainCert are frequently updated with the most current rating information so you do not have to look outside the system for the suitability of a carrier. Additionally, CertainCert and others also automate the follow up you will discover necessary as you receive insurance certificates from vendors.

I encourage you to do some additional research on the systems that are available before you spend any time creating your own.

Cary W. White
415-613-5589
Email: carywwhite@live.com
WorkComp&Sense
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by WorkComp&Sense »

Big Dog,

For all the insight you have provided on this board, I'll be happy to "throw you a bone" so to speak.

Microsoft offers an Access template called "Project Management Database" that should be sufficiently robust to fit your needs. Simply go the Microsoft home page and search under Access Templates Project Management Database.

Access can handle thousands of record so if you are just looking to track certificates then anyone with basic MS Access skills can cutomize the template with ease.

If you are managing only a few certificates (say less than 150) you can also use the calander function in Outlook (assuming you use MS office based on the .xl & .mdb referernce) to schedule alerts to notify you when a certificate needs to be updated. Set up Outlook to sends an alert 10 days before the certificate expires. Outlook can handle more than 150 events but you may not want to have that many alerts popping up in your e-mail

Good luck with the project.

WorkComp&Sense
msarich
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by msarich »

if you are looking for a full-service web-based solution, try the CertFocus Certificates of Insurance Tracking System . it's flexible and affordable. here's their web site : http://www.certfocus.com .