Sub - covering GC prop on their premise and while in trans

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Sub - covering GC prop on their premise and while in trans

Post by etimer »

Very busy at the moment and don't have time to wrap my head around this but I have my thoughts on it.

There is a cabinet making contractor that contracts with General contractors to build cabinets and install them. Normally the cabinet contractor doesn't invoice until the cabinets are built and installed.

At most times they have 1/4 million $$ of their own floating about on materials and want to increase cash flow. So they want to invoice the GC when cabinets are finished and not installed. The GC said fine but I want a COI showing that I am covered for the cabinets I paid for that are sitting on your property.

Also the cabinet contractor will be delivering the cabinets to the job site to install. Non-owned property will be in transit.

The Personal Property of others in care custody and control in the building and the 100 feet outside limit would cover the GC's property. Right?

It's the transit care custody and control that has my antenna raised. They will be handling the property while loading, at the job site there could be mechanical handling for unloading this stuff. Hm???? I see problems.

Without spending a lot of time thinking...what say yee of the forum. Give some quick thoughts on this.
racecarlover
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by racecarlover »

A proper builder's risk policy should cover the cabinets from the time they are loaded for transit to the jobsite (assuming the transit limit is sufficient) and until the building receives it approval for occupancy.

While they are at the cabinet makers premises they should be covered by the business personal property of the property policy. So you are correct there. There should also be coverage for items/materials going into a building at secondary locations under the builder's risk policy (assuming that limit is sufficient). So you should have two avenues to pursue should there be a claim. The best way would be via the builder's risk since that policy is designed for such exposures as you present.
Just make sure all interests are protected by endorsement to the builder's risk policy.

This all assumes broad coverage and properly placed policies with strong A+ rated security.
lauren
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by lauren »

Rather than a Builder's Risk policy, we issue an Installation Floater that covers materials and supplies at the job site, at a temporaty storage location or in transit. This is a blanket policy for any job. It includes coverage for property of the insured and property of others while in the care, custody or control of the insured.

It also covers the property at our insured's premises if it designated for a specific construction project.

Hope this helps.
Lauren CIC ARM
racecarlover
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by racecarlover »

Lauren,
Essentially the same thing. He did not specify if this was construction of a new building or renovation of an existing structure. I presumed it was new building construction from ground up.
Glenn
JSJAG
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JSJAG »

Sunday night and I haven't had a chance to check in since posting.

I had already started the Installation Floater info/app. I posted to make sure I was taking the correct horse on this issue and I see that I am.

Thanks for all posts. 8)
lauren wrote:Rather than a Builder's Risk policy, we issue an Installation Floater that covers materials and supplies at the job site, at a temporaty storage location or in transit. This is a blanket policy for any job. It includes coverage for property of the insured and property of others while in the care, custody or control of the insured.

It also covers the property at our insured's premises if it designated for a specific construction project.

Hope this helps.