Career education advice

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Pacer
Insurance Journal Fan

Career education advice

Post by Pacer »

I work for my state's professional association, overseeing education and professional development course development and administration. I have a BA degree but want to pursue a master's. I will be in this part of the insurance industry for quite a few years, at the least, so I do believe an advanced degree would help further my career.

I'm just not sure what degree program to pursue. Any thoughts?

Thanks
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

I recommend to get CIC, CRM or CPCU designations
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

I'm not sure which specialization would be best in a master's degree program, but I'd definitely look at the CPCU program in addition to it. I've nearly completed the program, it give you quite the overview of the insurance industry, and is also quite comprehensive.
CC420
Insurance Journal Fan

Career education advise

Post by CC420 »

You didn't mention what your major was for BA, however, I don't think you need to be a CPCU or CIC to administer insurance education.
I have both & would recommend them if your selling, underwriting or servicing insurance customers.
I think a masters in Human Resources or Business Admin. would be a wiser investment. Think big picture, not insurance specific, especially if your're in your 20's or 30's.
Pacer
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Pacer »

My BA is in Organization Management. I was a licensed agent and sold all lines, but this position doesn't involve selling, servicing or underwriting. In fact, I'll park my license and let it go. I have no desire to return to the sales field. I was very good at it but it wasn't my passion. For me it was much a case of a means to an end.

I am giving some thought to a MA in Education or Adult Learning. I am also interested in the CIC program.