Workplace Wellness Incentives

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Which incentive do you believe would work best to get employee participation in a workplace wellness program?

At-work weight loss meetings
10%
Gift cards or Cash
10%
Subsidized gym programs
60%
Reduced medical premiums
20%

Total votes: 10

MeritainWellness
Insurance Journal Fan

Workplace Wellness Incentives

Post by MeritainWellness »

Incentives-based programs work. Wanted to get the conversation started about which incentives work best to get employee participation in a workplace wellness program.
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by simiinsuranceguy »

Are you referring to activites related to the workplace, or are you speaking of what a person does at home on his/her own time? If it is the latter, then I believe that business should stay out of a person's private life unless that lifestyle dramatically impacts their performance at work. In other words, stay out of my life and concentrate on your own.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Wellness

Post by LadyBroker »

I agree that I am not so comfortable with my employer poking into my bad health habits, BUT ---employee health costs are getting out of control. Something like allowing 15 extra minutes for lunch a few times a week if you participate in maybe walking with your staff at lunch, or allowing Weight Watchers meetings on premises, that's not so bad in my opinion. As a libertarian, though, I am always hesitant to open the door to allow government into my personal life. Even if you only crack the door open for one purpose, once that's done, pushing it all the way open gets easier.

IMHO.

Have a great day, friends.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
aplessing
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Incentives that work

Post by aplessing »

I use workplace incentives to achieve a variety of goals and they are different for each client.

Generally, small incentives handed out frequently are better than larger incentives that are awarded at the company's Christmas Party.
Blue collar workers especially like cash; but other workers appreciate cash too. Not checks, but cash in their hand. If you don't believe me, ask your favorite car dealer how he rewards his sales staff "" cash "spiffs"
MeritainWellness
Insurance Journal Fan

resources

Post by MeritainWellness »

this conversation is great - incentives-based workplace wellness programs offer disease management and prevention - healthier employees ultimately protects the company's bottom line. here's some resources for incentives that work:
http://meritain.com/Home/Resources/WhitePapers.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Wellness

Post by LadyBroker »

I don't know that I would agree with you, aplessing, to post an employee's progress on a health issue. I mean, as a woman, I don't tell my husband what I weigh, let alone have it posted for all to view. :-)

Now if you're speaking about sales volume, that's entirely different and I agree with your thoughts for certain, and I would love to see a new thread about how to incent employees to be more productive and increase revenues.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

MeritainWellness: In years past I had an employer who provided group health coverage and part of that plan included membership in the local YMCA which had a gym.

Since the membership was "free" to me, I did join and use the facilities somewhat often. After leaving that employer I continued my membership in the Y and then a few years later transfered to a "traditional" gym at my own cost.

The goal of that type of program was to silently encourage better fitness which then would give the health provider less claims and eventually lower rates.

It also provided a sense of good will towards my employer who provided me with that lil extra benefit of being their employee.

Last year in our current agency we had a "loose weight" contest. Once trustworthy employee administered it and every Monday the participants would weigh in. The actual weights were not posted but the amount of weight lost was. That same employee presented some information she had acess to that was of benefit to all. The winner received $5.00 per pound lost (paid by the agency).

There are many other incentive based programs that work and equally many that do not work as well. One might work with one group but not with another. Depends on the group of people and what drives them.