Mercury Insurance in CA

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Mercury Insurance in CA

Post by steve32 »

For those that have appointments with Mercury... do you like working with them? Do you find that their products are competitive? Is it difficult to get an appointment with them?

I don't see them mentioned that much and just wondering.

Thank you in advance.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Mercury Insurance in CA

Post by LadyBroker »

I see them alot on commercial auto, especially for small fleets, contractors, that sort of thing. Also think they require a $1 million premium commitment upfront...so you have to have a book you can roll to them.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Rochambeau
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Mercury Insurance in CA

Post by Rochambeau »

I can almost promise you that they are tougher than most any other carrier you have. They are very... how shall I say... meticulous... with their underwriting meaning more memos etc. than any other company you have. However that is part of what makes them so competitive. They consistently are the best rate in our area. If it's a risk they like (family risk) and you package the auto & home, they are near unbeatable. Sometimes I think their rates are too low, but with them we can land any preferred account we want.

They give tremendous incentives to write quality business, commissions that go up if profitable over time and contingency commissions that in a good year can be equal to 20-30% of your regular commissions from them.

They are tough to get an appointment with, you have to demonstrate that you have a history of writing quality business.

For personal lines, I think it is safe to say that a Mercury appointment is the most coveted in CA.

So if you can get it, are willing to do the extra work of thorough underwriting and are prepared to take care to give them only good business, it is definitely a good appointment to have.