CIC Designation

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Gaber
Insurance Journal Fan

CIC Designation

Post by Gaber »

I would like to achieve my CIC Designation in 2009. The National Alliance is what I have found so far in Texas. They offer a 3 day study session, and then an exam on Saturday. Is this the best way to go?
pkremer
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: CIC Designation

Post by pkremer »

As far as I know it is the only way to earn your CIC. It is a half day Wednesday, all day Thurs and Fri and test Sat morning. Once you start it you have 5 years to earn the designation. I have my CISR and will probably start working on my CIC next year.
Gaber
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Gaber »

Just seems to be a very short amount of time to cram for a comprehensive exam. Do you know where to pick additional study materials?
InsMgmt
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsMgmt »

Gaber, don't worry about the time you have to cram or finding additional study materials.

The program is designed to take advantage of a pre-exam review and your short term memory to guarantee success. Just be sure to be engaged in the classes (ask and answer questions - put the iPod/computer/newspaper away), do the required study/homework each night, perform a short review Friday evening, and get a good night's sleep before the test on Saturday (think about avoiding the use of alcohol or drugs to aid your sleep - you may be hungover the next morning during the early exam time.) Also, be sure to eat a high protein breakfast before taking the exam.

Good luck! I have earned the CIC and ARM designations. I am currently working on my CPCU (Can't Produce Can't Underwrite).
earlybird
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by earlybird »

Obtaining the designation, from start to fininsh in one year is possible, but very costly. Check the website for availability. You have to take 5 courses, each is $375 plus the hotel and transportation if not available in your city. You are looking a $1000 for each in round numbers! There is nothing to study other than the manual they provide, along with the class sessions. If you have any experience, pay attention to the speakers, you should be able to pass the exam on Saturday morning. What i wouldn't recommend is substituting the CRM 101 class for the life class. The CRM curriculum is much harder than the CIC. Good luck!
GenXer
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by GenXer »

Its true, the National Alliance is the only avenue to obtain your CIC designation. You can visit http://www.scic.com/ to get more information on their programs and availablity in your area. As I understand it the program was originally developed with an eye towards the (then) unique insurance environment in Texas so it should serve you well.

Even being from somewhere other than Texas, I have found this to be immensly helpful in my career in the industry. The program is a very sales-oriented education program. Many of the topics you cover will use client/agent scenarios to get their point across. While there are study materials available, I used the Burnham Guide for one course, the exam is drawn up by the educational consultant sitting in the back of the class. When I have sat for these exams, theywill often use examples which are very similar to those used in class. Also, instructorsdevelop their own class materials based on a basic outline provided by the National Alliance. The framework is the same from instructor to instructor, but the delivery can vary quite a bit. As you might imagine this effects the way the exam is drawn up. I would submit that it would be very nearly impossible for anyone to pass a CIC exam without attending the class and paying strict attention.... no matter their level of profciancy with the material.

Having said all of that, I strongly recommend this program. Its not a cake walk; very few will pass all five parts on the first attempt. However, the knowledge I've gained has been worth the effort.

Regards,
-GenXer, CPCU, CIC
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

Gaber wrote:I would like to achieve my CIC Designation in 2009. The National Alliance is what I have found so far in Texas. They offer a 3 day study session, and then an exam on Saturday. Is this the best way to go?
You don't say how many years you have in the business. The CIC designation is as much an affirmation of your cumulative knowledge as it is updating your current knowledge. I began taking CIC institutes when I left the Captive Agency system, becoming independent after seven years in the business. One of the posts suggested persuing the CISR designation first. Depending on how much experience you have this may be the best objective.

I got my CIC designation awarded in May 1994, I began in February 1989 with my last institute in October 1993. I was able to do it in this time frame, only, because of my past experience. The positive thing with getting the CISR first is that the classes are shorter and more elementary. Your CIC institue will count as an update for the CISR Designation. This is the process I am recommending for a CSR in my agency because she did not have the extensive insurance background I had when I began the CIC program.

One of the keys that I used in studying was concentrating on what was different from what I already knew in addition to the study groups that we formed with other participants.
Gregcw
INTLXS
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by INTLXS »

First of all, the CIC is a true "producers" designation. You truly learn about what you will sell on a day to day basis.

In Ohio, they run class all day Wednesday, all day Thursday and Friday Morning. Give you a 2 hour break to study and eat then give you the two hour test. It is compacted into the three day period and gives you opportunities to study each night by yourself or in groups. Everything you need to pass the test is in the manual or is from the instructor. They monitor the quality of the instructors and watch pass ratios to make sure they are successful.

Over the period of a couple years we rotate the classes to the main cities so you could conceivably do all the classes on your home turf. I don't agree with the math of $1,000. With the class and hotel and meals I am in the $500 to $600 range. I do believe you get what you pay for. The number of carriers sending personnel to CIC courses has increased and it gives you a great opportunity to network.

You have not mentioned the best benefit of the designation. It is the graduate level update courses. They go through excellent topics with excellent instructors. You can also go to industry specific modules such as contractors, healthcare, financial institutions and others.

Ken
Kenneth Kukral, CIC
President & CEO
International Excess Companies
26451 Curtiss Wright Pkwy. #103
Richmond Hts., OH 44143-1437
PH 1-800-937-3497 X 2082
FX 216-797-2032
Check out our award winning websites at:

http://www.intlxs.com
http://www.xsprograms.com
http://www.getguardinsurance.com
http://www.ezfloodquote.com
http://www.wsibinsurance.com
http://www.willcomply.com
http://www.swipephysics.com
http://www.prospector-group.com
http://www.vital-ins.com

I am a huge fan of the CIC program and recommend it to anyone who has 3+ years in the business.
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by hhrchevy »

I have a suggestion for a little help with the CIC curriculum. Purchase The Insurance Essentials Handbook from the National Alliance Research Academy (yes, the same people who bring you CIC). It contains a synopsis of everything you are going to see in the CIC institutes. It will help when some of the instructors go off on a tangent because of questions that come up during the class (usually by some people who are ALREADY CICs so the comments, questions, and suggestions will blow up your brain while you are trying to keep all this information in your head). This book will bring you back to "reality."

I have the CIC, CPCU, CLU, ACSR among other designations. I think the CIC curriculum gets you a destignation in record time but am not sure how much you will retain after each exam. Having said that, the reference material provided will more than make up for that when you are researching information to sell, assist with a claim, and answer trivial pursuit questions from your fellow producers/underwriters.

My problem is with 40 years in the business and all that alphabet soup, I am finding it hard to get a job right now. So, I hope your quest in getting the CIC works out better for you than it has for me!
Gaber
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Gaber »

Wow, great information. I've acquired my ACSR a few years ago, and I've been in the industry for 9 yrs. Being the ripe age of 35, and planning to continue my working career in insurance, I thought it would be beneficial for me to work toward my designations. Awesome feedback. Thank you!
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

I finished my CISR at the beginning of this year and that allowed me to complete my ACSR that I started a while back. If you look at the National Alliance Website you can use some of your ACSR credits I believe to count towards CISR classes. It would be another designation to have.

I too want to begin working on either my CIC or CRM but can't decide. I have been in the industry a little over 10 years now and working for my current employer for a little over a year. I think the CRM would be more benefical as I am training to be an underwriter, but I think both would be of great help.

I also have matriculated into the CPCU program and I'm looking forward to that.

As you can see I'm eager to learn and ready to take on the challenge.

Gaber, good luck on your future classes towards designations.

V.

:D
lonniswanson
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by lonniswanson »

Gaber, the study materials you are looking for are available through The National Alliance website, where you can download a document called "Preparing for CIC." Go to the CIC section of www.scic.com before each institute you attend, as it is updated whenever the CIC curriculum is changed. Here's the link: http://www.scic.com/CIC/CICinstitutes/P ... forCIC.pdf. I am an editor for The National Alliance and know this will make your studying much easier!
prezzoo

Post by prezzoo »

I'm taking Agency Management soon. Some folks in my office have studied ahead of time to take advantage of the course. Anyone else have additional study tips for this test?
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

It has been 22 years since I got my CIC.

However, my understanding/recollection was that the tests were prepared during the session - to assure that the material tested was covered in class.

Has that changed?

If not, studying before the class means you may be spending time on stuff not on the test.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
lawssherry
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by lawssherry »

I am a new CIC, having passed my final exam. My background is operations and finance, not insurance. I received great advice from other CICs in our firm, as well as the education consultant at my first CIC, which was to understand the learning objectives listed at the beginning of each session and pay attention to what is discussed in class.

There is no effort to be tricky here. Pay attention, ask questions, take good notes. Study each night. In SC, we also attend class all day Weds & Thurs, Fri AM, with test after a 2-hr break.

My whole purpose for getting my CIC was to be able to attend Ruble seminars, and I'm attending my first one next week. Because CIC seminars are full of people who have to pass an exam, these are not the forums for going out on a tangent. But we all know the tangent is where the fun stuff begins! I'm hoping that at Ruble, where there is no test-taking involved, affords the ability to discuss the messy real-life scenarios that keep us employed!