CPCU Study Materials

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Jeffrey
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU Study Materials

Post by Jeffrey »

Thank you for everyone who added comments on CPCU vs. ARM. Does anyone have an opinion on the type of study materials to order which can be the most effective for the CPCU. I have found the following:
1) AICPCU Materials
2) Kaplan/Schweser
3) Keir
4) Burnham System

Thanks!
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CPCU Study Materials

Post by hhrchevy »

I self studied using the Institute's materials. I had a few exams that I had to take over, but that was just me having a hard time with concepts and not with the material. At the time I was taking CPCU I was not working in the insurance field. I was an employee of an insurance department but only doing clerical work so was not exposed to the concepts beforehand. I would say that anyone who has been in the field should not have difficulty passing the exams using the Institute's material because it correlates with the wording/questions its graders are seeking.
pjking42
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by pjking42 »

I used Insurance Achievement to obtain 6 Parts of my CPCU so far. You can order course materials from them in paper format and on CD's or tapes that you can listen to in your car and study while you commute. I found it to be very helpful to have such flexibility in study methods.

Thanks,
PJKing
Dilbert
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Dilbert »

I always used the Kier study guides and never even opened the AICPCU books. Passed all of the tests on the first shot. But that was way back when there were 10 courses required to get the designation. I have taught classes to our CPCU students from the newer AICPCU books and found them to be very easy to read and thorough. The CD's included with the new AICPCU materials are very good as well. I'm not sure I would spend the money for anything extra now.

Dilbert
Mido
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mido »

As I mentioned in another thread: the burnham system works for me. It is extremly concise and I did not need any additonal material. It is quite costly though - prices are $300 each package...unfortunately.