Facebook

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

jdwebb
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Facebook

Post by jdwebb »

This is an interesting post as we are in the process of developing a full-time social networking position to create a presence on Linkedin, Twitter & Facebook among other SN sites.

Ironically, personal experience with Facebook would lead me to dismiss the technology as only a forum where acquintances stay in touch. However, our agencies in smaller communities have used the technology as a means to incorporate their civic duties & insurance sales into one outlet which has paid dividends.

My own research into Facebook and other SN areas leads me to believe that one should not dive in unless fully committed. And, when you do, you better have a good presence (fan page etc.,) because your competitors do. If using Facebook, i'd think the value would be having a page like Travelers (http://www.facebook.com/travelers) where visitors can quote and get info, not, post meaningless info on your wall. As someone stated earlier, it may not replace Google ranking, but, it does supplement it. Given a wide enough distribution of your Facebook link - someone might just request a quote.

Cheers...stop by in a few weeks and we'll "LIKE" eachother...
Jason D. Webb
Pacific Crest Insurance
www.pacificcrestinsurance.com
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by robmejia »

Facebook is fast becoming a good medium for businesses. Some of you might be surprised to know that a lot of tools in Facebook is aimed for businesses. I guess this will be the case for google+ as well. :)
insurancedad
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insurancedad »

I can't stand the way the social sites have now been integrated into online searches. Looks like to be at the top Facebook and Google+ is now a priority.
JasonBHBCo
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JasonBHBCo »

As these last notes came up as comments on the latest IJ news email, I went back to read (ok, I skimmed) this post from its origin a few years back. It is a very interesting read, and I would bet that most who have posted have seen a shift in their thinking from those days.

Specifically, insurancedad's recent observation that social media platforms' activities and postings now becoming a part of the old Google search results drives home a point. I recall that earlier in the post the question was asked whether folks looking for insurance would start looking in Facebook or in Google. Regardless, it looks like what you do online in any of these platforms is now affecting where you show up in search results. The networking, marketing, and general relationship building that is done today knows no boundaries. What is done in person is enhanced online. What is started online continues in person. Regardless of our individual thoughts on how we use social media, the target of our insurance selling is indeed being influenced by what they see there. It is up to us how we use (or do not use) that fact to enhance our brands!

On a self-serving note, we have published the results from our Social Media and Online Marketing Survey in the Insurance Industry that we did last fall. It is on the ACT website as well as the BHBCo (.com) website. There are some interesting statistics, but the biggest surprise, and one that I would challenge all who have commented on this board to ponder, is that well over 60% of respondents to the survey said that they do not measure the ROI of their traditional marketing efforts. Next time the question comes up about social media's ROI, and whether it works, what can you say about traditional networking and marketing results before saying/asking anything about the results in social media. Either way, I think it is absolutely critical and a very positive thing to be able to answer both questions about your individual agencies!! (I know we are guilty of not measuring ourselves like we should here!)

Regards,
Jason Hoeppner, CIC
B. H. Burke & Co., Inc.