Can CGL cover Building Collapse

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Porsh
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Can CGL cover Building Collapse

Post by Porsh »

If the overbridge collapesed due to construction defect and then caused third party bodily injury or property within the insured's plant, can standard CGL policy cover the loss?
Porsh
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Can CGL cover Building Collapse

Post by Porsh »

more: the overbrige is not built by the insured.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Can CGL cover Building Collapse

Post by gregcw »

Porsh wrote:If the overbridge collapesed due to construction defect and then caused third party bodily injury or property within the insured's plant, can standard CGL policy cover the loss? more: the overbrige is not built by the insured.
Reading bewtween the lines I'm going to give a non-commital answer.
Probably.
The reason for being non-commital is that your description is vague enough to leave some room for speculation.

1. is this insured a contractor and is the location of the loss one of his worksites? If yes and the injured party was on the premises that the insured controlled, I believe that his policy would respond and at least defend the insured, probably pay the injury &/or proeprty damage and then subrogate to the party that build the overbridge.

2. Is the overbridge on the insureds premises or is it someone elses (i.e. a public walkway or adjacent properties premises)? Your within the insured's plant description implies that this occurred on the insured's premises and then their policy woud cover the injury &/or property damage and then subrogate to the builder of the overbridge.

3. If the overbridge was on someone elses premises, the CGL would defend the insured in the event of a lawsuit against him and the adjustor would at least attempt to have the correct party respond.

A side note, seeing that you currently have only 6 posts to date, You do have the option of editing your post rather than needing to add another one to include something that you forgot to include.
Gregcw