CRM Courses, OK to take Control of Risk first

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

ParkerH
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

CRM Courses, OK to take Control of Risk first

Post by ParkerH »

I am a CIC and am hoping to start up with CRM designations this summer. The first available CRM in my area is Control of Risk. Principles of Risk Mgmt won't be offered here until 2010 and I don't want to travel for CRMs if I don't have to.

Is it a bad idea to start off with Control of Risk, or any of the others for that matter prior to taking Principles? I consider myself a sharp insurance agent and am sure I'll do OK - but I am curious. I passed all CICs the first time out without difficulty. What can I expect with CRM?

THANKS - :D
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CRM Courses, OK to take Control of Risk first

Post by volstrike3 »

CIC and CRM classes are like comparing apples and oranges. CRM classes were much more difficult for me. Do you have any sort of an accounting background.
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by hhrchevy »

I am not taking the CRM exams but am using the courses for my CIC updates. I found you can go in any order and still benefit. The information is great--especially Analysis of Risk.
alx730
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by alx730 »

I am a CIC, and have completed four of the 5 required CRM courses. I know there's a lot of talk about the two tests being so different, but I don't see it. If you've been successful in CIC, you'll do fine with CRM... you know what to expect.

The National Alliance suggests that you take Analysis before Finance, and I'd agree, but that's about the only rule you NEED to follow as far as the order is concerned. Granted, I took Principles first and Practice second, so I could have had it easy without even realizing it
Alex S. Holtze, ARM, CRM, CIC
Sales Manager
Gaslamp Insurance Services
San Diego, CA