CPCU 510 woes

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

CPCU 510 woes

Post by joel66 »

I just started my studies on July 1st and did my first practice test on the SMART online exam on 14th and was really bummed out I only got like 40% :cry:

The steps I have done so far is the following:
Prior to reading the chapter 1 text, I first did chapter 1 flash cards, then read Review Notes, Course Guide answers then read the chapter text.

I repeated all steps for all 15 chapters by doing flash cards - review notes - course guide - text. Once I was done, I read the Review Notes book again then took the first "Full Practice Exam." I think what has me really upset is that I had put in over 50 hours in the past 14 days prior to taking the exam and thought I would have done better.

What I'm thinking of doing and would like to get feedback is to start taking the "Review by Assignment" test for each chapter. I did this for chapter 1 and still disappointed. I went ahead and read chapter one Review Notes and Course Guide answers and also wrote my own flash cards trying to memorize two elements of this.. or four classifications of that and so on. I then took the full chapter 1 practice test and again, only got 50%. I know it's only been 16 days, but man, this is brutal.

I am thinking of making like 7 to 10 flash cards per chapter in which I have to remember steps or number of certain items in each of these objectives and follow the same process like above. Reread Review Notes - Course Guide - write 7 to 10 cards and review those - then take the Full chapter exam and understand mistakes.

I am hoping to finish each chapter exam and process above and take another Full Practice Exam in 10 days and see if I can do better. So far, I'm a little bummed out.

Joe
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CPCU 510 woes

Post by hhrchevy »

Hi Joe, don't be discouraged. I started and stopped my CPCU studies so many times it took me ten years to get my designation (you don't need to get into that depressed state!!!).

The CPCU information is intense and sometimes you have to dissect it into your own words. The flash card idea is ok but you will need to be more fluid in your understanding of the concepts than rote memorization. There is no one way to study all of this. I even stopped for a while and completed my CIC thinking I could correlate some of the material but CIC was more for the agency and CPCU is more for the underwriting so "ne're the twain shall meet" (it seemed like).

CPCU is a huge endeavor and you have to take each chapter in chunks, master it and then move forward. It is just not easy, is all.

Remember if it were easy everyone would have the designation--and that is not the case!
superdash8

Post by superdash8 »

I just received my CPCU a few months ago and have spent the last 3 years studying away. Since you've already read the book, I would concentrate on the SMART test. The book contains much more info than what you are tested on. The SMART tests give a really good taste of the actual test and the types of questions they ask. I confess that I didn't even read a few of the texts books, but simply kept on taking the sample tests, when I ran accross something I was weak on, then I would refer to the book and read up on whatever that subject was. Also, the flash cards they give you are really just a glossary of terms. I recommend making some of your own flash cards based on test questions or review questions.

Don't get discouraged. It is attainable, just keep pressing forward.
ForumReader1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by ForumReader1 »

I don't think 2 weeks is enough time to absorb the content of a CPCU text. I'd also suggest reversing your actions. Start by reading the Educ Objectives to see what's going to be important. Then read the text, paying special attention when you hit an Educ Ob. I always highlighted them. Then review the questions & answers at the end. Spend the next few days with your flash cards. I always used to carry mine with me - whenever I was at a stop light or waiting in line, I'd study one. For the "lists" of things that require memorization, I'd make up an acronym to help me remember. (You know, like Roy G Biv helps you remember the colors of the spectrum.) Don't study too long at one time - your brain gets tired and you quit absorbing. Study in briefer periods at times when you are the freshest mentally. When you master one Chapter move to the next. Don't worry about how fast you can do it. Everyone will have their own pace. Back in the olden days when I got my CPCU, you could only take 2 tests a year and usually you studied one chapter per week. Good luck! Report back and let us know how you do.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

How close was the Review Notes book covering the Educational Objectives from the real test? I'm thinking of just creating flash cards based on the Educational Objectives.

I think my problem was just reading all 15 pages of the Review Notes, Course Guide, and Book and it was so much information. I had a general idea on how the course was covered, but didn't have enough time to soak it all in. I want to create some good cards and continue taking chapter exams on the SmartOnline test.

I know I'm rushing it, but hoping to get the exams done every 4 to 6 weeks. I would love to have time and study for the GMAT and enroll at FSU's MS in Risk Management in 2010.
Brenda Lawhorn
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Brenda Lawhorn »

Joe, my suggestion would be...slow down! Remember, the CPCU courses are college-level. Give yourself more time to absorb the information. Begin with the educational objectives and make sure you can provide the answers to those objectives. That is what you'll be tested on. Slow and steady wins the race.

Some people (like myself) don't test well. That doesn't mean you don't know the material. Hang in there! You can do it!
skryan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by skryan »

I concur with Brenda. I work for the Institutes and we recommend studying 1 assignment per week. Follow all the steps you're currently following (review notes, flash cards, practice exam) and focus on the educational objectives, as Brenda suggests. You're doing all the right things; I believe you're just trying to do them too quickly. If you pace yourself at 1 assignment per week, you should see much better results. You might also consider a formal class (for example through a local CPCU Society chapter) or an informal study group at work; both can be very helpful in keeping you paced.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and words of encouragement. I think the problem that I had was underestimating the course and trying to rush through it. Funny thing, I just got my business degree a few weeks ago and when I took all my courses, I would first read the chapter to get a general idea about it, then do all the exercises until I understood everything. Once that was done, I would read the chapter again to fill in the gaps. I am not sure why I would change what has worked for me the past 2 1/2 years.
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

My key to passing all of the CPCU exams was actually filling out the answers in the course study guide. There is no substitute for finding the answers on your own and having to read the material to find the answers. In later courses such as 540, there is no way to pass the course without doing the problems and practicing. I do like the flash cards and the CD Rom practice test, but I think the practice tests in the back of the study guides are more like what the real test is like.
Twinky45177
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Twinky45177 »

Hey there...I'm chiming in with the "don't get down" mantra. I worked on my CPCU designation on and off for 21 years. I was finally motivated to finish so I could go to the confirment ceremony in Hawaii in 2007. :mrgreen: Along the way I started some courses and put them aside many times....even to the extent that I had to buy new books to finish one. I had two children, moved three times and changed companies twice before I completed the coursework. The CPCU program itself was modified twice during my journey. I had to take one course over again and wound up with a Commercial Lines emphasis due to having taken CPCU 3 and CPCU 4 early in my journey and prior to one of the program changes. This despite the fact that I've never worked in CL.

I also did not pass two of my exams on the first try. It was a long journey and, at times, discouraging. There are many people out there like me...many of my co-workers who have their designations failed at least one test along the way. Don't let this get you down. Family life, work issues, personal trials and tribulations will all get in your way at one time or another. Keep focused on the goal and keep moving toward it, even if your trip is slow and circuitous.

I found along the way that the SMART materials are sometimes very helpful and other times not so helpful. They will give you practice answering questions, but don't assume that much of the test will be covered in those questions. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. I relied on the SMART practice tests for my last two courses. I nearly memorized both disks. I passed one with flying colors...the other I nearly did not pass as there was much material on the test that was NOT in the sample tests.

Find a technique that works for you. I would read the text cover to cover. Then I would do the workbook questions chapter by chapter....writing down every answer. Then I dug into the SMART practice tests. If I still had time before the test I would re-answer the workbook questions. I always took the last two days before the test as vacation days and I would immerse myself. This was especially helpful for me on the CPCU 540 and 560.

Want some motivation? Find a location for the Annual Meeting and Conferment Ceremony that you would very much like to visit and use that as your objective. The CPCU society web site lists the locations for the next three or four locations. In addition, many insurance companies will send the new designee and his/her significant other to the ceremony. Hawaii was a VERY popular event.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

I really enjoyed reading your journey toward your CPCU twinky. A co-worker of mine was sharing the same type of story about his manager that took the CPCU off and on for over 20 years and was really excited to get this done.

Joe
syoung718
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by syoung718 »

Use the Burnham System - breezed through the designation in just under 2 years.
sheena
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by sheena »

Hey Guys....I need some help from all you guys..I m doing a project on CPCU Membership...
If you are member of CPCU Society please respond as I have some queries that I would like you to answer...
Also, if you are not member of CPCU Society and have given CPCU Exam then also please reply to the following questions:
1) Do you think CPCU Membership is decreasing?Are there lesser people taking the exam?
2) If yes, then what factors do you think is responsible?
3) If you are given an option to pick some other options apart from giving CPCU what career option will you choose?
Please answer the above.will post some more after this,
It would be of great help as this will help me prepare data and research on CPCU Society as a whole!

Thanks,
Sheena
marty202

Post by marty202 »

Sheena,
Membership for the CPCU is dropping like a rock. The real reason is that the designation is much harder than other easier classes such as the CIC, which is basically 5 weekend classes. CIC people love to say it's "5 years" of work, but really, when you only show up for one weekend, it's just a weekend, not a year.

All that to say CPCU is more respected than CIC, although CIC is a good designation. CPCU currently has to count those who have retired but still have the designation - which shows the active members are retiring faster than they are being replaced with new CPCU's. Also, go sign up for a CPCU class in your local area... you'll see numbers are very low.

Currently the society is making the CPCU easier to take. Changes have been made to entice potential testers to not get discouraged through the 8 classes taking 16 weeks a pop.

Not the format you wanted, but I hope it helps.
earlybird
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by earlybird »

I started CPCU in 1972, took my time, and finished in only 20 years, 1992. At the time, I worked for Fireman's Fund and we received the option of going to the ceremony or getting $5k in stock. That's a pretty good choice. If you are going to work for a carrier, I recommend CPCU, where you will get a "big picture" of the industry. I now work for a large agency where the emphasis is on the CIC program. CIC is basically reading the policy, commercial or personal lines for 3 days and regurgitating the policy during the exam, which last 2 hours. Both programs serve a purpose. As far as difficulty, each CPCU course is like a college course that you would take in a semester. The Finance and Economics courses have been equated to Masters level courses by the instructors I had, both college professors. Being the only CPCU in the midst of 40 or so producers & CSRs, I am the brunt of the "Cant Produce, Cant Underwrite" (CPCU) jokes. They are just jealous, so stick with it!