CPCU 510 woes

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Blondie2
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CPCU 510 woes

Post by Blondie2 »

Sheena: I think one of the reasons that enrollment is down is the economy. Not as many employers are picking up the expenses involved with these classes and they can get expensive.
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

I started the CPCU in fall 2002 and finished in spring 2006. I spent 4-6 months on each book. I suggest using the course guide and chapter objectives. The flash cards make you focus too much on definitions, which is not what the CPCU is about. The CPCU is very applied: "read material, answer questions using the material". It is not by and large about just spitting out definitions.
tombo22
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU 500

Post by tombo22 »

Just signed up for CPCU 500, OCt 15-dec15. Anybody take this test yet? Thoughts or advise appreciated. Is it multiple choice?
Dave Medvidofsky
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Dave Medvidofsky »

Joel:

Agree with the other comments - 14 days of intense study is aggressive for these exams. Read the materials, work the study guide, know the educational objectives and you should be fine.

Also, I wanted to clarify another comment. While the exams are becoming "easier to take" in terms of availability, on line tools, etc, the content remains as rigorous as ever. I am from the old 10-part blue book days - when I ask exam takers that have done both the objective and subjective exams, they say the multiple choice can be harder as a wider range of materials is tested. They also appreciate receiving their exam results faster.

Keep at it - it's worth the effort!
tbob2985
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by tbob2985 »

I just am looking to sign up for a 510 test in January or February of 2011. I see they changed the CPCU 510 course with the CPCU 500 course. The 510 test is all essay questions that include the ethics part. The 500 test is just multiple choice and you do the ethics part separately through a learning module. The text books for each class are titled the same. I was thinking of just signing up for the CPCU 500 test since the multiple choice test seems like it would be an easier test. Can anyone shed some light on this to see if these tests are basically the same thing or not. Thanks in advance.