Delivery of Insureds Policy

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

inshru2
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Delivery of Insureds Policy

Post by inshru2 »

Yesterday I received an email announcement from NIA (Networked Insurance Agents) that they would no longer be mailing insured's copy of policy etc. to the agent. They would only electronically send it to the agent. I understand companies desire to go paperless and reduce costs. But... that choice to have it electronically delivered, in my experience has been left to the agent.
With other General Agents I work with I have always been given an option to accept electronically or by mail. They all have accomodated my request. Likewise with carriers. I am not ready to accept the additional cost of printing, postage, paper at the same level of commission.
It seems that agents should be given an option.
Am I alone or are there are others that share my thoughts on this matter. Would be interested to hear from other NIA affliate agents, as well. Perhaps, strength in numbers, we can have a say in the matter.

Steve Cresci
Steve
Break1630

Re: Delivery of Insureds Policy

Post by Break1630 »

Have they conveyed the reason as to why you are not given the option?
inshru2

Post by inshru2 »

It was a general announcement and I have not contacted them yet. The headline read: "Networked Goes Paperless One Carrier at a Time"
Steve
Break1630

Post by Break1630 »

I guess it would be worth a phone call, and you may be hear that you aren't the first to call about it either and express your frustration with it. It's amazing how shortly lived some of these policies can be.

And if they do not budge, have you reached out to your clients to ask them if they would like to have the policies e-mailed to them? This would eliminate the postage and printing from your shop. Spin it as if you are trying to do your part in "Going Green."
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Think of the wasted resources in our industry in the process of issuing policies.

How about a dec page the outlines coverage - emailed to the client as a pdf - right from the insurer?

The dec includes a list of forms. Each item on the pdf file's list is a link to the website where the form can easily be read, downloaded or printed.

What is the advantage of the agent delivering a policy to me or having it mailed to me?

Maybe I'd actually get my client's policies within a month of the effective date!
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant