OK, just for fun, Top Insured Fibs...

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Rochambeau
Insurance Journal Addict

OK, just for fun, Top Insured Fibs...

Post by Rochambeau »

Actually had an insured try to pull this on me today so I thought I would bring it for a chuckle...

dad's car 2008 BMW 528i
mom's car 2007 Range Rover
extra vehicle: 1982 Ford F250 Heavy Duty

came in today to add 16yo son who JUST got licensed and to add a 2009 Mits Evo which they just bought as an extra car, son will be driving the F250 to/from school

Yeah, Mr. Insured, I am that stupid... :lol:

Sad thing is, kid was there when they came in, saw every bit of Dad's "it's OK to lie if it saves you money" charade.

So what's your best customer lies?
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: OK, just for fun, Top Insured Fibs...

Post by wlunday »

Well, I guess that's why so many carriers are "spreading the risk" across all the vehicles evenly instead of rating each driver to a particular vehicle.

When Safeco did this a few years back, I actually had an account that didn't change the price at all.... but "Dad's PT Cruiser" went up $200 and the two sons trucks went down $100 each. I tried my best to explain it to the dad. The guy got so nasty with my staff that I called him up and fired him as an insured.

Swymmer
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Employees? No I don't have any employees.... and my truck is just for personal use (never mind the signs all over it).
FurriePrincess
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FurriePrincess »

That is why some companies rate the young drivers on the highest rated car, whether or not it is the one they drive so it generates the maximum amount of premium.

And the best ones... are "oh, yes, everything was updated before we bought the house"... Ok, then you won't mind that the company will be sending an inspector over to check it all out... as the client turns a bright shade of red.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

I don't know that I even want to get into this, I've had two situations in the last year that would just raise my blood pressure to rehash.
ebrenneman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ebrenneman »

I dont do framing I only do the drywall and studs that hold it up!
Rochambeau
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rochambeau »

Another one that ended up as a claim...

"That wasn't my dog in my (unfenced) front yard, it was a neighbor's dog, he lets it run around the neighborhood."

Of course that was until it bit someone.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wlunday »

It's not my trampoline... it's my grandson's. I gave it to him for Christmas. He just keeps it here because I have a big yard...

Swymmer
lucylover09
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by lucylover09 »

"They're not my employees - they're independent contractors!"
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by kevinraz »

Wrote a residential plumbing contractor a few years ago. Question on supp app "do you do any trenching" they answered "no".

A few days before policy starts they have a worker killed, suffocated when a trench collapsed.

Cancelled the coverage for misrepresentation.
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
Brenda Lawhorn
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Brenda Lawhorn »

The agency I worked for had an account that was a political action committee (PAC) that had been written the year before with Travelers. They non-renewed the policy when they found out the insured was a PAC and not what was represented on the original application. I called the client and explained to them that because they were a PAC, that was the reason Travelers non-renewed. They argued with me for 15 minutes that they were not a PAC but a non-profit, even though their website clearly stated they were, in fact, a PAC. Almost reached through the phone to strangle the guy!
meadows_lynne
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by meadows_lynne »

Vehicle--Farm use
Vehicle type--Pontiac Grand Am
(Only vehicle on personal policy, and they didn't own a farm, or even 1/2 acre of land)

Yes, they actually believe we're all that stupid :)
InsuranceGirl
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by InsuranceGirl »

I love when I ask if a home is owner or tenant occupied. And the client asks me "Which is cheaper?"

My reply...

"The TRUTH."
thatinsguy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by thatinsguy »

How about the LRO that we wrote with an "office" exposure on the app. Had a fire this year, building is completely destroyed. Reason for the fire? A tire retread facility was operating in that location and overheated, ensuing, said fire. I don't know what kind of office you work in, however; one with a furnace that can melt rubber might be out of the ordinary for the typical office. :roll: