Cold on Calling

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

P&C I Agent of IL
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Cold on Calling

Post by P&C I Agent of IL »

As a new agent I am finding it incredibly difficult to keep motivated on the phone; hang ups, rude comments, run-a-rounds, etc. There has got to be a better way. I am looking for a more effective phone script/guide or more effective way in general to get new leads. I would appreciate seeing the scripts/guides or basic conversation flow that have proven to be most successful for you. Also what is a "good" conversion % for calls to appointments?
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Cold on Calling

Post by d's insurance store »

Sadly, you're not going to be getting a lot of sympathy for that method of client acquisition around here. Read up on a bunch of Scott's advisory postings.

If you're new to the biz, and your training mentor is telling you that's the way to get started, then you'd better run to another, more enlightened trainer because you're on the path to cold call burn out and career stagnation.

Think about it for a moment...just how motivated are you to respond positively to a cold telephone solicitor? You're being interrupted, intruded upon, asked to focus on a topic that isn't on the top of your mind and asked to give information. Sure, anyone who has done it can point to isolated successes...and that's just luck...finding someone out of the blue who's tuned into insurance shopping at the exact moment you're calling them, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

You'd be best served by first making a decision about what area of insurance you want to be involved in, and then trying to figure out how to be the expert in that field, and know what your product strengths are, and then learning and having the time and patience to building relationships, rather than x-dates.

You'll also have to find a nurturing environment that promotes that kind of training, rather than throwing a newly licensed person a phone book and telling them to start dialing for dollars.

Success in this business today is based on specialization and knowledge and relationship building, not trying to find thousands of distracted names willing to give up an x-date in return for a price comparison quote in hopes of beating the price and making a sale.

Back to the drawing board and good luck.
P&C I Agent of IL
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by P&C I Agent of IL »

Well d you said it. I have been told exactly what you spelled out. I am trying to special in automotive risks; repair, body, dealerships, parts, etc. I guess the next question is how do I position myself to build relationships with those I need to talk to. Should I join their trade groups or associations or even offer to speak at them?
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

I would start by getting access to trade publications for that business area...then joining trade groups and associations...the by researching the product offerings so that you really know where your policy strengths and weaknesses are. At the point where you can really present as the expert and have better solutions to problems, yes, start positioning yourself as a speaker and start making face to face, information gathering appointments with brick and mortar players in your area...not to sell them something, but just to leave your card, collect theirs and make a soft inquiry about future contacts. Collecting an email address and starting an information brief newsletter that contributes something to their business day also will help...and of course, you can let the newletter subscribers know this is what you specialize in.

It's not going to be quick, but the ability to devote the time and patience combined with a viable area of expertise should begin to pay off big time.

Your specialty area is really underserved with true experts...generally business owners end up with substandard advice and service from an insurance generalist who also handles personal lines and so on. That area is way too complicated for the insurance to be left to a general practicioner.

Good luck.
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

Others to consider networking with.

Tool Dealers: Snap On, Mac etc they know everyone at every shop in their territory. They might even be around when an owner is complaining about his agent or carrier. Right place at the right moment.

Coverall and rag dealers: same as above

Oil and Lubricant dealers: getting the message yet?

Hoist and machinery dealers and repairers: I feel like a broken record

Basically...anyone who has a product that your prospects already have a relationship with. They are sales persons and know how hard it is to break in a market. If you build that relationship you can expect to be given some leads.

Bottom line...if you get leads from those resources, be sure to let them know when you succeed, tell them thanks and most importantly...give them some leads when you have them!

Good luck...
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr