Insurance Noodle vs. Superior Access vs. Agent Secure

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Insurance Noodle vs. Superior Access vs. Agent Secure

Post by LadyBroker »

I am going to guess the other cluster is PIIB...they are a growing group, and I hear good things about them from their members. Based in NorCal, I believe, but are making inroads in Southern California now.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

I have used noodle and Agent secure. Agent secure is better, I like their rater and the fact that you can play around with coverage and re quote real time. Personal lines used to be a pain with Noodle. Why not just go IA, are you captive?
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
surestart12345
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by surestart12345 »

I too would love to hear of a good alternative to ISU. I've looked at many aggregators too and considering one of two to join this next month...Iroquois Southwest or ASNOA. If you have another alternative to ISU with many insurers to connect with, I would love to hear of it! tsfc2065@yahoo.com thanks, gary
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

There is another great alternative out there but you have to qualify.
What state are you in? And what is your experience level.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
J.Christian
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by J.Christian »

Online wholesalers do not have a good turn around time, despite what they tell you. I good MGA will help you. You may have to shop but it will save you fustration.

Thanks,
J.C
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

J.Christian wrote:Online wholesalers do not have a good turn around time, despite what they tell you. I good MGA will help you. You may have to shop but it will save you fustration.

Thanks,
J.C
For preferred business, the best way to get appointed or get access to markets is by joining a cluster or alliance group - do everything in your office without going through a middle man not only brings a higher commission, but the agency will win more business due to the instant turn around time. The investment is worth is and these groups return a lot more to their agencies than a wholesaler is able to. Wholesalers play a key role in specialty and surplus lines business.
http://www.agencyequity.com
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs
rskmgtpro
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by rskmgtpro »

I've used several aggregators in the past, including Agent Secure and Insurance Noodle, and one of the most frustrating things I have found (and not mentioned on this thread) is what I will call a lack of advocacy. Hopefully most of you will understand what I'm talking about. If there is a truly borderline or questionable issue that comes up relating to a submission that is open for interpretation, the submission always get kicked back as not bindable. The "underwriters" never step up on your behalf and try to negotiate with the carrier to look at ways to get a deal done that everyone can agree on as fair. They simply roll over and say " we can't write this". What ever happened to good old fashioned negotiation, give and take? It's gone with any of these companies.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

These MGA's are working on quantity and the system is set up for expedicious processing when a risk meets a tight set of guides and thus, there's no room for advocacy for the small agency.

Until or unless you're a big producer with these MGA's, there's no reason for them to put out any effort beyond the minimum because their business model just won't allow it.

If you've got risks that are 'one step beyond' and you don't have direct appointments that can take the time to chat, then I can only suggest the Surplus Lines Marketplace, where rules are made to be broken and everything has a price and a place.
Pathwayinsurance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Pathwayinsurance »

d's insurance store wrote:These MGA's are working on quantity and the system is set up for expedicious processing when a risk meets a tight set of guides and thus, there's no room for advocacy for the small agency.

Until or unless you're a big producer with these MGA's, there's no reason for them to put out any effort beyond the minimum because their business model just won't allow it.

If you've got risks that are 'one step beyond' and you don't have direct appointments that can take the time to chat, then I can only suggest the Surplus Lines Marketplace, where rules are made to be broken and everything has a price and a place.
Very small margins for wholesalers, explains why not much room in the budget.
Jack Thomas - Agency Principal
513-662-7000
www.pathwayinsurance.net
newportins

Post by newportins »

Read the fine print on contracts with the clusters and aggregators. Most have a clause where you can't directly or indirectly contract with the same carrier for 2 years. You are locked into a particular cluster/aggregators if you want to continue writing with the same carrier.
daviddward
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by daviddward »

Each of the major networks or aggregators has a unique business model and it pays to investigate them carefully to understand the pros and cons of each. Here is a link to a page of the Iroquois website that addresses 6 Ways to Evaluate Networks: http://www.iroquoisgroup.com/content/6- ... e-networks

The Iroquois website will answer most of your questions but make sure to indicate your home state so that you get the correct information.

David Ward
Pathwayinsurance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Pathwayinsurance »

newportins wrote:Read the fine print on contracts with the clusters and aggregators. Most have a clause where you can't directly or indirectly contract with the same carrier for 2 years. You are locked into a particular cluster/aggregators if you want to continue writing with the same carrier.
That's a great point, some strongly advocate clusters but would it not be better to obtain a direct appointment on your own?
Jack Thomas - Agency Principal
513-662-7000
www.pathwayinsurance.net
newportins

Post by newportins »

Small agencies don't write enough to get direct appointments with most carriers.
jlfogle
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jlfogle »

I've been trying to research what would be the best option out of Insurance Noodle, Superior Access, Agent Secure, etc. Seems like in summary these aggregators/online wholesalers are all subpar. We are a smallish agency in Texas, but growing fast. We do mostly surplus right now but want to ramp up standard lines - commercial and personal. We aren't big enough for direct contracts yet. These aggregators have their issues, but seems like the MGAs we've gone through have similar issues - overworked, understaffed, lack of advocacy, etc. Can anyone suggest a couple of MGAs that have access to Hartford, Travelers, Hanover, Zurich, SafeCo, Chubb -- and can offer decent customer service as well? Just want to find someone who isn't swamped/overworked and doesn't take a month to get us a quote.

Thanks for any help!!
Agent in Texas
ziiqui

Post by ziiqui »

You're NEVER going to get real-time access or agency support until you sign up with a REAL cluster like SIAA. That being said, I go between Superior Access and Consolidated Agency Partners (www.capnet-1.com) 775-333-0204. Between the two, I have access to: Traveler's, Safeco, Hartford, Metlife, Kemper, Encompass, Allied, American Modern, Commerce West (Mapfre), Progressive, and Dairyland. Small monthly fee. Small commission. You own your Book! They are both very supportive and fairly easy to reach. Minor problems, but oh well!