Apartment building Carrier for Illinois

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

reggaesuperstar
Insurance Journal Fan

Apartment building Carrier for Illinois

Post by reggaesuperstar »

I am having trouble competing with direct writers for apartment building risks in Illinois. Any suggestions on what carriers I might use to compete with them?
briand
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Apartment building Carrier for Illinois

Post by briand »

If i were you i would check out BigI markets as they have a very good habitational program that you might fit the bill for you.
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

It they're brick buildings smaller than 36 units, The Distinguished Programs are great. Properties need to be rehabbed within last 15-20 years, no aluminium wiring, and no frame construction.

For frame or large properties, there are few options. Philadelphia, Fireman's Fund, Hannover and Walnut Group will write apartments, but they're picky. For E&S, WKF&C is a good program for monoline property, and you can pair them up with First Mercury on GL. You can access both of them through Colemont-Chicago or most other larger wholesalers.
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

Forgot to add...

If you're running up against American Family on larger frame habitation properties, run the other way unless there is a glaring issue with the current agent. AmFam's pricing on frame apartments is cheap, and I've seen property rates lower than $0.10. Approach with great caution.