Need some help with my car insurance dilema

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

piffd
Insurance Journal Fan

Need some help with my car insurance dilema

Post by piffd »

First off, im 19 and live in new jersey with my father. I am attempting to get insurance for my first car but my father does not have auto insurance. My mother also lives in new jersey and has new jersey manufacturers insurance which is apparently the best insurance to get. She called up and tried to get me placed on her policy but because i dont live there she cant. We were thinking about having my mom insure and register it as her car but she is worried the insurance company will check up on it and see i really posses the car. If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it.
alx730
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Need some help with my car insurance dilema

Post by alx730 »

Man, being a 19 year-old male AND in NJ you (and your parents) are in for a terrible surprise. I've never been to NJ, but have still heard nothing but horror stories.

Get a bus pass or a second job my friend. I hear the Insurance Industry's hiring.

Seriously though, I would advise to always be up-front and truthful with any insurance company you ever deal with. Don't mess around with lying about who owns what or where it's parked. Just call Geico or Bristol West and take your lumps until you're 25.
Alex S. Holtze, ARM, CRM, CIC
Sales Manager
Gaslamp Insurance Services
San Diego, CA
NYagent301
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Need some help with my car insurance dilema

Post by NYagent301 »

piffd - NJ Auto insurance takes into consideration all members in the household. If your father has a drivers license and if his driving record prevents him from having a car, it will affect your underwriting. If he is unlicensed or for whatever reason does not need a car, that's fine but any adverse driving record will affect your insurance as he is a "member of the household". Regards to your Mom she lives in a different household. She can register a car in her name and name you as a driver and declare an alternate "garaging address' but the NJM people may not go for that, or at least they will until renewal time, and your Mom risks being dropped. If you as a driver is not disclosed to the company you will have a problem, or as the old saying goes, "you are covered unless you have a claim". NJ is a competitive market right now for auto insurance and the premium varies greatly from one company to another. My advice is to find an independent agent who can shop more than one company at once, pay particular attention to your coverages as some companies will sell you a stripped down policy with hardly any coverage. If that's what you want, that's fine, but compare apples to apples. Be up front with your situation, expect annual premiums of approximately $1,500 with a clean record.
CSP
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Exclude a driver

Post by CSP »

Find an independent agent that will shop the market for you, and find a company that will allow you to exclude a driver in the household from the policy. JUST MAKE REAL SURE THAT PERSON "NEVER" GETS BEHIND THE WHEEL OF YOUR CAR FOR ANY REASON!!!!!!!