Agent Selection in the Bid Process - Case Study

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

new
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Agent Selection in the Bid Process - Case Study

Post by new »

Because there is a word about differentiation etc., but not something to meet the client needs in full and avoid gaps in existing coverage. Mostly is a word about power of presentation. Sorry for my misspellings. :D
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

New, it isnt your misspellings...

Your posts are almost cryptic. I have to admit I do not know what you are asking or what your point is.

Maybe I'm being thick.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
larsimo
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by larsimo »

Scott glad everything worked out. As for the two agents that did not get the business, well, since they were made aware of the rules of the game ahead of time, I am sure they had nothing to complain about.

On a side note, yesterday I had an episode that reminded me of this topic. A client of mine of five years - a very large Condo Assoc - had asked two other agents to come in and present competing renewal quotes and let the board vote. However, prior to taking the votes and after the inital presentation, the board wanted a ten minute Q&A session with each agent. That is when one of the agents gets up and right off the bat starts lying thru his teeth about coverage, pricing, etc. (I actually couldn't believe that some producers would go that far!). After two minutes of listening to his diatribe, I got up and said, "Boardmembers, if you will excuse me, this gentleman is lying to your face on just about everything he is saying. You've known me for five years and I would expect that by now I've earned at least some of your trust. All of you have my contact information and if you would like to renew your policies with me and my team, please call."

I left the room and about 40 minutes later I got a call saying: "Yes, let's renew with you".

Obviously I don't recommend people do this as part of their daily routine - especially on an $800K account! - but what I learned from this is sometimes to be different you've to stand up, put your principles, integrity and transparency on the line and let the client make the decision - w/o wasting anymore of your time.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Ugg!

BTW, its a good thing you were there. I don't think I have ever set up a situation where agents presented with competitors in the room. In 20 years of selling insurance I dont recall presenting under those circumstances either.

Gonadal gumption.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant