How do you become a CIC instructor?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

marty202
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

How do you become a CIC instructor?

Post by marty202 »

I recently took a CIC class and got to thinking: how do they find the instructors for these classes and what is their compensation like? One of our producers was a teacher, so it had to be worth it to him to take a few days off to come teach the class.

Does anyone know any details? Is it difficult to get that job? Do you need to be a CIC?
alx730
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: How do you become a CIC instructor?

Post by alx730 »

You don't have to be a CIC, or a CRM for that matter, but I'm sure it helps. What you do have to have is a long, positive history in the industry and an obvious expertise. Every one of my National Alliance proctors had reasonably impressive resumes. I'm sure if you were to contact them, they would tell you how they hire their teachers. Or, you could just ask your producer.
Alex S. Holtze, ARM, CRM, CIC
Sales Manager
Gaslamp Insurance Services
San Diego, CA
jctwindad
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jctwindad »

Not sure how you get the job, probably just contact the Society in Austin, TX. The pay rate is around $1,200 for a full day or $600 for half a day. They also pay your travel expenses. That is not bad money for many, but for a good insurance agent, you could not afford to lose 2 days (travel to and from) for $1,200.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

jctwindad wrote:Not sure how you get the job, probably just contact the Society in Austin, TX. The pay rate is around $1,200 for a full day or $600 for half a day. They also pay your travel expenses. That is not bad money for many, but for a good insurance agent, you could not afford to lose 2 days (travel to and from) for $1,200.
PIAO/WA runs the CISR Program/Classes for our area and asked me if I could teach two CISR classes. I did one on Personal Residential and one on Commercial Casualty. They collect instructor evaluations from the participants and this determines if you will continue be a faculty member. I'm sure that this is only one avenue into Faculty membership.
Gregcw