CPCU classes vs. CLU classes

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

CPCU classes vs. CLU classes

Post by bjwestner »

Hello Everyone,

Was wondering if there is anyone out there that has their CLU and CPCU that can chime in...I have my CLU and am now starting my trek on to my CPCU, I'll have to take 6 classes (because I have my CLU and FLMI, 2 classes can be excused). How much harder if any are the CPCU classes compared to the CLU classes? I knocked out my CLU pretty quickly, within a year and found it pretty easy so long as I actually did the reading. Is this similar to the CPCU classes?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

William J. Westner Jr., CLU, FLMI
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CPCU classes vs. CLU classes

Post by hhrchevy »

I received my CLU in 1988 and my CPCU in 1998. I could only transfer Economics at that time so had to take 10 CLU and 9 CPCU exams. The format was the same--read, read, read, take notes, condense the notes and read them over (AND over) until you took the exams.

You should do fine.

Karen Jamison, CLU, CPCU, CIC, ACSR, ITP, MPA
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

Well I actually received my CPCU textbook and guides last night and was surprised at how thin the textbook is. It's about half the size of an average CLU textbook, not saying that it's not hard but....

It seems like everywhere I read online people are saying how very hard the CPCU exams are and so I had this anticipation that the material would be ridiculously hard. Does anyone know if all of the CPCU exams are now multiple choice? I know that 500, 520, 530, and 540 are as this is what it states on their website.
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

Which CPCU class are you taking? The book size will vary by class. Personally, I'm taking CPCU 500 and the textbook is a good size. As for the CPCU exams, there are a few that are still essay exams. I know that CPCU 500 used to be CPCU 510 which was essay. When they split the ethics requirement from the risk management portion then it became multiple choice (objective). Good luck on your CPCU experience.

Victoria Lovinggood, ACSR, CISR, CPIW, CRIS
Victoria Lovinggood, ACSR, CISR, CPIW, CRIS, DAE
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

Thanks for the response Victoria, I'm starting with CPCU 500. I scheduled my test for March 5. I thought that this would give me enough time since I only got my books last week, but now I'm sorry that I did not schedule it sooner. I've been putting in atleast an two hours of studying per day and it's not too bad, I'm just not used to the way the questions are worded.

One thing that I miss quite a bit from my CLU studies is that there are no audio cd's available through the Institutes website. This was vital in my CLU studies because of all the driving I do, to and from work, I would be able to sharpen up quite a bit on what I read.

I've read quite a bit good stuff on the Burnham program, but decided to just purchase the books from the Institutes directly this time. I'm not sure what I'll do when I move on to my next exam after 500 (hopefully I pass 500!).

I think I read somewhere that 500, 520, 530, and 540 are not essay and are mult choice. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, has anyone out there used the Burnham materials and ordered the audio cd's? Were they any good?
skryan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by skryan »

Hi. I work for The Institutes and can confirm that CPCU 500, 520, 530, 540 are all objective multiple-choice exams, as are CPCU 553, 555, and 557. And thanks for letting us know you're interested in audio. I've passed your comment along.
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

Hi skryan,

I too would like to see The Institutes offer audio for the books. Or possibly e-books are the future for those that have iPads, Kindles and the like?
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

While e-books may be a good option for some people. please please please do not take away the regular books. So many schools are doing that now and I can't stand it. Maybe I'm old school but there is nothing better than studying from an actual text, etc.

I'm really surprised that they do not have audio books at the institutes. I'd think that with all the driving that people do or the time that they spend on the train/subway in NYC for example that this would be available. Someone suggested that I buy a recorder and the record myself and listen to it. While this is not a bad idea, it would be hard to listen to myself. I'm still used to the dude with the perfect deep voice from The American College cd's.....
skryan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by skryan »

Thanks for your input, Victoria, about e-books. You'll see some developments along those lines later this year to complement our print materials. As for the audiobooks, bjwestner, we regularly survey students regarding their learning preferences. Much to our surprise, frankly, our surveys did not reveal any great interest in audiobooks. But that's something we'll continue to keep an eye on.
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

I would like the e-books to compliment the print texts. I too feel very attached to some of my textbooks and wouldn't dream of giving them up. They are good reference materials. Maybe if you order the print text you can get a digital copy too. Kind of like what they do with DVDs now, where you can buy the DVD and get a digital copy. Much easier for me to hold my Kindle and read on the subway than a large textbook.

I love that The Institutes are looking into other methods of delivering the material.
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

Victoria860 wrote:Which CPCU class are you taking? The book size will vary by class. Personally, I'm taking CPCU 500 and the textbook is a good size. As for the CPCU exams, there are a few that are still essay exams. I know that CPCU 500 used to be CPCU 510 which was essay. When they split the ethics requirement from the risk management portion then it became multiple choice (objective). Good luck on your CPCU experience.

Victoria Lovinggood, ACSR, CISR, CPIW, CRIS

Victoria - did you take the CPCU 500 exam as of yet? If so what did you think of it? If you did not take it as of yet, best of luck!
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

bjwestner not yet. I am scheduled to take the exam on April 15. Congratulations on your passing too.
kriegb
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU text course guide and studie aids

Post by kriegb »

If any one is in need of CPCU course text books, course guide, Smart study Aids, Flash cards let me know as I have recently completed the CPCU designation. Also available AIS and AAI 81, 82, 83 bn_krieg@yahoo.com
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

To keep everyone updated on my progress, I took and passed CPCU 520 on Saturday 4/23. Just got my grades this morning and got a b on it. I wanted to take the test a few weeks ago but could not due to no tests being offered from March 15 - April 15. So I was delayed by a few weeks but finally got it done.

In comparison to the CPCU 500 that I took first, I found 520 to be a little harder. The book was maybe 1/3rd longer than the book for 500. The test itself was easy though. I was a bit worried going into the test as the SMART pre-test questions were actually harder than the questions on the test. I've been averaging taking 1 test every 5 weeks or so and only have 4 tests left so I should be done in the next 5 months or so. I just ordered my new materials today for CPCU 540 (I'm going to take CPCU 530 at a later date).

I'll continue to update this throughout my studies so that other students/potential students can read about my experiences throughout the CPCU process.

BTW - my studying has gone like this for CPCU 500 and 520. I start by reading the whole book. I try to get through the book in 10 days to 2 weeks. I then re-read the book and this time highlight with a highlighter the information that I believe is important. I'm usually done re-reading the book after about 3 weeks. At that time I schedule the test for 2 weeks out. I then start using the SMART questions and start taking practice questions online. While doing this I will go through each chapter and answer the questions in the course guide while going over the information that I highlighted. One week before the test I take the practice exam online. Then 3-4 days before the test I take the final practice exam and study away until the test.

I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone.
PatsFan2001
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by PatsFan2001 »

I just completed the CPCU program. I am considering jumping in to the CLU program. Can anyone offer any insight on what the CLU exams are like? Are they short essay, multiple choice, or some combination of the two?

Anyone who has taken exams in both programs -- is there is a significant change in difficulty level from one to the other?Thanks!

P.S. If anyone is interested, I work in the claims side for a medium sized P&C carrier that also has a life insurance company as a wholly owned subsidiary. I found this message board by googling CLU exam format and a bunch of other similar things. There is not much out there on the interwebs about CLU. :)