The Thinking of Selling Insurance all over many states

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

roycheong1031
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

The Thinking of Selling Insurance all over many states

Post by roycheong1031 »

Just suddenly have a thought about the selling approach; We are based in CA, and have a few standard carriers to work with, and we are thinking to expand our business to other states as well. I want to know is there a way I can also sell insurance to other states beside CA? Of course the eligibility and guideline for writing business to other states from Carrier is a concern.

On our agency's side, what is CA agency's requirement for writing business to other state if eligible. Any though will be appreciate. Thanks!
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: The Thinking of Selling Insurance all over many states

Post by volstrike3 »

It can be done... but what value to you bring to a client outside of your immediate area? Do you have a special niche program that the thousands of local agents don't have? I feel like that is your only option to be successful from a distance.
roycheong1031

Post by roycheong1031 »

well, we are the P & C agency emphasizing Personal Line product, and I was thinking instead of selling product to local, why not sell it to outside area too, because almost all our client is wrote through social media and most of the time we never see them face to face.
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

The only time it makes sense to write insurance in many or all states is if you specialize in a certain type of industry or have a very specialized insurance product. Keep in mind, the further away a client is, the more likely they will leave you, so it never makes good business sense.
http://www.agencyequity.com
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

It's relatively easy...all you need to do is find one of the on line companies that can facilitate getting licensed in your destination state, wait for the processing and license to arrive and then start selling...but as another pointed out, what are you going to do that is different? I mean, it's not like other personal lines agencies in other states aren't on the web and social media sites as well. Are you just going to devote time and effort in the price war, placing PPC ads on Google screaming 'CHEAP RATES'? How are you going to seed your social media presentation in an area that you have no physical connection to?

Have you figured out if your current carriers have killer rates in those out of state enclaves? Are web based ads a whole lot cheaper in other states than California?

Yeah, I know the hype about the web enabling all of us to do business anywhere in the modern world, but seriously, have you answered the question about your unique selling proposition and what you have to offer that differs from what is already there?
roycheong1031

Post by roycheong1031 »

Dear All mentor and advicer: Thank so much for all your advices on my idea. I think it is great to share my thoughs and to evaluate and analyze it with more than one brain!..:)
roycheong1031

Post by roycheong1031 »

rob86: the reason I suddenly have this idea is that, while I am quoting, I suddenly though of the opportunity that is out there beside CA; I mean, instead of the getting business in CA, why not do business for ALL the states too? I mean, the opportunity is out there, and I am the person that is alwasy think outside the box..
RobRLopez
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by RobRLopez »

I sell in multiple states, but like many have said previously... there are specific niches I market my services to. The NIPR website has helped me greatly... but they just organize everything... you will need to follow up directly with each state department of insurance handle fingerprinting, pay fees, etc.

http://www.nipr.com - National Insurance Producer Registry
Rob R. Lopez- Insurance Agent

http://www.linkedin.com/in/robrlopez