Do you use online leads services?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

OldIndyAgent
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Do you use online leads services?

Post by OldIndyAgent »

Rodgwag...

You might want to check todays Insurance Journal...

BB&T Adds Flood Insurance to Online Offerings
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/na ... 253491.htm
Robert742
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Robert742 »

OldIndyAgent wrote:Rodgwag,

You should check that...I can name 12 offering direct rates, and those are just the big boys online, in the USA. If you can't find more than 8, I suggest you use this new-fangled thing called G-o-o-g-l-e search. I work with several more that are under $100M written premium that also offer online quotes, that are pushed to agents, but they are regional. Truth is there is lots of companies online, finding them and weeding out the lead aggregators is the issue. In Europe, a HUGE volume is done online and I think that is where the USA is headed.

Comparatively, SelectQuote seems to do a decent job. It delivers pre-underwritten quotes in just minutes. There seems to be quite a few of these type of comparative raters out there for consumers.
I'll have to look at SelectQuote, can you name any other sites actuallyl providing comparison quotes online? The Internet is better than ever for getting online auto insurance quotes, but you need to go to each company's website.

However, what Rodwag says about quote comparison websites is mostly true. Lead generation companies are not inherently bad if the prospect knows they will be contacted, and leads are not being over-sold, or "refreshed." Yet there is no way for the public to be sure the site they use will actually provide online quotes as promised, or result in being constantly harassed with telemarketing calls.

I tried out one site, which took some basic information from me, not enough to quote me accurately, then displayed a static page of price ranges for various insurance companies, probably shown to every prospect. They sold my information as a lead, which I expected, but they also sold my e-mail address, and I'm still getting all sorts of spam from it.

I have some confidence in Hometownquotes as one of the better players, and I use them on my website. Some people prefer having agents contact them for quotes. You would think the worst offenders, like the Bankrate companies, would kill the lead generation business by turning off the consumer, not to mention agents dropping them for lousy leads. I think it will stay with us for the same reason we still see sleazy used car sales tactics to sell cars: it remains profitable.
Complaint & customer satisfaction ratings for all the leading home & auto insurance companies in the USA
http://www.smartshopyourcarinsurance.com
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by rodgwag »

OldIndyAgent, you rookie, why didn't you name the 12 companies in your post? Do you even have your own agency (don't say yes if you only sell regional carriers because that would be sad)?
As for Europe, they are inherently less sleazy than we are so they have laws in place that force them to be more honest with their consumers concerning insurance rating.
Rodgwag
OldIndyAgent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by OldIndyAgent »

Rodwadg...Really?
Look, if you can't Google and find at least 12, I am NOT helping you... Baiting? I'm old enough not to fall for a grade school taunt.

And you stated very matter of fact that there were only 8! I guess America is the center of the world, and the rest just doesn't count, the way you phrased your answer.

Some of the are regionals are better at underwriting than the big boys, so yeah, I do like them!
Rainmaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rainmaker »

I have yet to see an agency prosper over time using on-line lead services. They are commodity transactions, low premium, typically distressed, low value assignment of the agent as a value add, and very, very, very poor retention rate.

The better approach, in our experience, using a combination of contact information/technology/etc to foster sales is a drip campaign. Statistically, 88% of buyers will engage an agent in a discussion, but are not yet ready to buy. They are establishing the agent as a future resource in case of: 1) something goes wrong with the current agent; 2) they suspect there might be an imminent agent of change in their business, ie they grow, expand, divest a division, whatever...and they may want to engage another agent to evaluate if they will be a better fit than the incumbent given those changes actually occur; 3) 'relationship anxiety' or better put, they just met you..they want more time and history with you and familiarity with your work before buying; 4) they've met you now but don't start evaluating coverages until a future date - so it's just not good timing yet to visit the issue.

A well constructed drip campaign, comprised of contacts with whom the agent has actually met, had a contact with, etc., but are not yet ready to buy, and that incorporates thought leadership, content, promotion of success stories, interactivity (ie downloading a whitepaper or linking to a blog article) is the best and truest form of lead generation that contributes to sustainable organic growth.

I highly encourage NOT wasting money on anything falling outside of that.....so shall you sow, so shall you reap...you'll get nothing but lousy clients with LeadGen services and you can't build a good insurance practice on that.

Just one man's opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCWqVsa-4k
David E. Estrada
Founder & Managing Director
Rainmaker Advisory LLC
Portland, Oregon
www.rainmakeradvisory.com
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by robmejia »

I agree with charlie. Sometimes you have to pay just to get leads failing to think that since it's for sale, it's up for grabs for a dozen more or so agents. That increases competition and may make things more difficult for you
ykaplinsky
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ykaplinsky »

AgentofTN I wish you would tell us what company you are using. set appointments, pay when you close sounds like a dream. I would like to talk to them
UVA
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by UVA »

Uvamo is a new tool that will helps users manage and shop insurance (check out UVAMO.com for further detail)

We are in the process of rolling out and are currently signing up agents that can quote our users. We use a pay as you close model and don’t require immediate turnaround. We encourage our users to not accept a quote for at least 72 hours.

We are starting with a handful of agents per each state. Hope agents find this useful.
fmi
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by fmi »

I have tried several online lead providers and have had no really good success.
Frank Medina, Agency Owner, Mentor, Founder of IANS Insurance Agent Near Me
https://insuranceagentnearme.directory/
jmerrill
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jmerrill »

I haven't had a lot of luck with online lead providers either. In fact, I have had some bad experiences with them. I am promoting my own lead funnels online and that seems to be getting some traction, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
James Merrill
Phoenix, Arizona
http://www.jmerrillagency.com
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

Leads services = junk leads. Buy them if you want to rip your hair out in frustration, while battling 10-20 other agents for the same lead. I know, I know, I know...they only sell / share with 2-3 other agents average. Phooey! Our industry is besieged with those that want to make this a question of the lowest premium. The leads companies are right out there in front with their banner ads and spam emails. Shysters...every single one of them. :x
George Page
www.pageins.com
cameronspearman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by cameronspearman »

no, they are a waste. Use companies like leadgen.

Or better yet, have producers cold call, hit the streets and do some old school networking!
ziiqui
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by ziiqui »

Does cold calling work any more?
carter.buck.engage
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by carter.buck.engage »

"Honestly, internet leads are time-consuming, expensive, boring. In working with agents over the last decade, I've found that the most effective way to make your agency valuable is to cross-sell to your existing clients. Really milk your book of business. Meet with EVERY client EVERY year for an annual review, and take diligent notes so that you can be ready when Junior turns 16, or when they have a baby, or when they buy a home.

This program has some good insights and details to walk you through how to do it:
https://engagexforinsurance.com/agency- ... program-3/