Ethical Problem - Please help!

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

jonathan999
Insurance Journal Fan

Ethical Problem - Please help!

Post by jonathan999 »

I'm a claims examiner and my department is preparing for an audit being conducted by one of our clients.

I just realized that on several of my files on which I documented (in our electronic notepad) a request to my boss for authorization to increase the reserves have been deleted. I have before and after copies of the notepad entries.

I approached my boss (who is a part owner of my company) about it and he said "We can't have this discussion and if it's brought up again he will see to it that I don't work in the industry ever again."

What do I do?
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Ethical Problem - Please help!

Post by Big Dog »

Is there a paper copy of the request to increase the reserves in your files? If so, leave it there. As to the notepad documentation, if you're asked, tell the truth. You documented it, but it appears that it was deleted.

Beyond that, look elsewhere for employment. If your boss is willing to skirt legal requirements, it's time to move on.
gregsmith5
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by gregsmith5 »

You work for a crook. Leave as soon as you can find another job. Being around a dirt bag like this can only cause bad things to happen tp you. Look for a job ASAP
OldIndyAgent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by OldIndyAgent »

Leave ASAP.

Keep private copies of the info in question. If this explodes, you will be the one to be blamed. Your boss will try to pass it off if possible. Move on, don't say why, just leave.
saabins

Post by saabins »

start looking for a job pronto. you will be the one to blame if anything happens and your boss is unethical and immoral!!
Blondie2

Post by Blondie2 »

Does your electronic notepad have a history feature where all activity on the file can be documented? If so, find the date you entered your requests and do a print screen.
jackwehoca
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jackwehoca »

Surprised you have to ask. Grab what is yours (including any documentation you have in Notepad) and get out of Dodge ASAP
KPIA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by KPIA »

I would consult an employment lawyer as it looks like you won't be working there long. I wouldn't just up and quit unless a lawyer told me it was the right thing to do.
Kevin M. Kennedy
KPIA - Kennedy Professional Insurance Agency
www.kpia.com
CSP

Post by CSP »

Somewhere in the program is a transaction file. Find the approximate date the file was deleted, it will be shown in the transaction file. To my knowledge the transaction file is next to impossible to alter, except for a programmer, who would need to get into the code to delete a part of the transaction file. There would be a record of this action also, but again you would need a computer expert programmer to find the change.
justthere
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by justthere »

CSP is correct. We had an ex-employee get into our computer system, delete her file and then claim that we never paid her vacation pay. Our computer guy was able to go into the log, find the deleted files and pull them up. Our ex-employee is now under investigation for filing a false claim. Even thought they are deleted, they are still on your system unless the entire computer was re-formatted. I am not and never will be a computer person but those computer guys can do amazing things. Good Luck!