Feedback on being an independent agent for Progressive

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

John J90
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Feedback on being an independent agent for Progressive

Post by John J90 »

I am interested in finding out about people's exeprience selling Progressive commercial insurance. It seems fairly to get an appointment with them. Is that correct? Thank you in advance.
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Feedback on being an independent agent for Progressive

Post by jtownagent »

I have two main gripes with Progressive. Low commission rate (10% on commercial vs upto 17.5% with other commercial carriers), and it's difficult to qualify for any profit sharing. Yes they offer insurance via many (any) approach, but this does not bother me so much. I can justify my added value to my clients. Progressive's online system is relatively easy to use and efficient. Pricing can be competitive. Also Progressive is willing to take on new commercial clients, or those without prior coverage or loss runs. You should have Progressive as a market in your menu of companies, due to Progressive's extensive branding initiatives. I see no downside to getting an appointment with this carrier.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Feedback on being an independent agent for Progressive

Post by gregcw »

Your post doesn't say where you are located. Progressive is the one company you can't live with and can't live without. They do a good job but the commission sucks. You might try contracting with a smaller regional carrier that offers commercial coverage.
Gregcw