Independent Insurance Agency

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

cenino
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by cenino »

Hi everyone I just started with my agency almost a year ago and i am just concern if i am on the right track.
I have done so far only homeowners, motorcycle and a few auto liability policies.
My total so far for homeowners is around 300 thousand in premium and i just need to know if that's good for and agency with almost 1 year or it should be more.
Also i find hard to get appointed with auto insurance companies for lack of auto book of business, but i find really hard to have a book of auto if i don't get the appointment.

Any answers or suggestions are greatly apreciated.
And also if you know what else i can do to grow my business and also to get appointed with an auto carrier please let me know.

Currently I advertise on the internet to get leads.

Thank you.
InsuranceMaster

Post by InsuranceMaster »

I just read an article in BestWeek that Safeco is making a big push to appoint independent agents. I think the article was titled Courting The Agents. I suggest you contact them if you have not already or contact them again.
Fredricksenins.com
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Fredricksenins.com »

Good Morning,

You may find additional products to sell to your clients through well established General Agencies. This would permit you to get the premium required for direct appointments, while writing business in the meantime.

Check out our website for our products, but, there are many other carriers and productlines available to you, without cost and without premium requirements. http://www.fredricksenins.com
Sundance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Sundance »

I have been in the business for 30 years now but also opened my agency only a while back (October 2002). I think your volume is commendable considering you aren't writing auto.

I do not know whereyou are located but in Texas (so I would presume in all the States) Big I has a program that you can go thru that (presuming you qualify) will set you up with companies such as Hartford and Travelers for your personal lines needs.

You do of course need to be a member of Big I and if you are not, I would suggest in doing so as well as PIA if they are in your State. Big I has many programs avaialbe to it's members as well as E&O etc for the Agency.

I too agree with one of the other people that responded. There are plenty of (for lack of better words) non-standard auto markets that actually have quite a standard rate so don't rule them out.

Good luck to you!
TELarsen
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by TELarsen »

Your doing pretty good for what you offer but you need to sell yourself to companies that actually want aggressive agencies. Try telling a company that they will be #1 in your office and use them that way!

I got Farmer's insurance, as I was appointed with Foremost, writing HO, Landlord and specialty lines. I initiated the contact but Farmer's actually asked me for an appointment, so it can be done!

Don't give up!

T. Larsen
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What State are you in. This will help us determine what steps you need to take.
cenino

Post by cenino »

First let me thank you for the answers above.

I am in the state of Texas. In Houston.

Thank you.