Book recommendation for starting an agency?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

John J90
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Book recommendation for starting an agency?

Post by John J90 »

Does anyone have recommendations for books or other reading material that provide insight into the do's and dont's of running an insurance agency? Thanks!
policyman

Re: Book recommendation for starting an agency?

Post by policyman »

John, I don't think there is a book out there that can prepare you for the "do's and don'ts" of running/ starting an agency. It can be very challenging, but also very rewarding. Instead of looking for a book, reach out to agency owners who have done this (and continue to do this) successfully. You'll learn more from their experience, mistakes and sucesses than you can get from any book. Gook luck!
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

I am actually working on the finishing touches of a guide to Starting an Insurance Agency, please go on my website which should be linked below and complete the "Starting an Insurance Agency" form.
http://www.agencyequity.com
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs
John J90

Post by John J90 »

I tried filling out the firm on agency equity.com but it said my email address John.jefferson90@gmail.com was invalid.
Rainmaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rainmaker »

In addition to reaching out to different agency owners for advice/counsel/mentoring, etc., you may wish to look at the publications offered by Hales and Marsh-Berry. Both publish outstanding information and you will pick up on trends, industry metrics, and best practice operating methods which can guide you as you structure your agency.

Good luck! Hope that helps!
David E. Estrada
Founder & Managing Director
Rainmaker Advisory LLC
Portland, Oregon
www.rainmakeradvisory.com
twobeacon
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by twobeacon »

I recommend that you not only read, but study and internalize "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. Although not specific to insurance, this book will provide you with a set of principals that if you apply to yourself and business, will surely lead to a successful outcome. I have not doubt that many reading this would agree.
charlie@beacon

Post by charlie@beacon »

some books I recomend - for your sales force - The Wedge (Randy Schwantz) / You cant Teach a kid to ride a Bike at a Seminar - David H Sandler. Great books that help in uncovering pain from prospects

Call or email me with questions

866-208-5058 ext 208

Good luck

Charlie Tan
Beacon Marketing Inc
www.beaconmarketing.net
golongd
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by golongd »

No book that I know of. Suggestion work with someone who have done it for a long time so you aren't recreating the wheel on everything. You will be a lot further along in the long run. Check out something like this in your area http://www.miaainsurance.com

Best of luck to you!
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jtownagent »

The Accreditted Advisor in Insurance (AAI) designation material may be of some value. It is put out by the Insurance Institute of America. There may be other desingation material as well from this organization.
sethm
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sethm »

Get the book entitled "Power Position Your Agency: A Guide to Insurance Agency Success." I read this book a few years ago. It's a good instruction book on how to grow any size agency with simple approaches.
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

My guide on Starting an Insurance Agency will be posted on the site hopefully within before the week is over, it has nearly everything you will want to know about the start up process.
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

The AgencyEquity Guide to Starting an Insurance Agency, which is a 9 page guide that goes over the basics of starting an Insurance Agency from A to Z, is now online. To access this guide directly, please click this URL:
http://www.agencyequity.com/component/c ... nce-agency