Super Newbie

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

rjamruiz
Insurance Journal Fan

Super Newbie

Post by rjamruiz »

Hey Guys/Gals,
I would super appreciate some advise on getting into this field, I'm 39 years and and have always wanted to be a producer/agent. I've been fortunate in life, got to chase my dream, catch it and live it, Now I would like to turn my attention to this field where I have a soft spot for (my father passed away when I was young and the Insurance paved our way to success...so it's a personal thing...

Just a one liner or two from many of your experiences would be a wealth of information.

Thanks and best of luck to ALL
ziiqui
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Super Newbie

Post by ziiqui »

My advice is to hook up with a broker in your area. It sounds like you would be good at selling life insurance because you have already experienced the positive things it can do! Whatever you do, DO NOT work for a captive company such as Farmers, Allstate, or State Farm! I repeat, DO NOT work for a captive, especially Farmers!!! You will eventually have many more options as a Independent Agent, if that's the way you want to go. I've been doing this for 32 years with Farmers, and I can't wait to quit this TERRIBLE company!
chizcurlz
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by chizcurlz »

There are lots of ways to pursue your career as an insurance agent. You don't need to have a degree in Finance or Insurance. You just need to pass the insurance licensing exam in your desired field, life & health or property & casualty, after your preparation.
roofmaster417
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by roofmaster417 »

Make sure you are passionate about your work.Help your insured.Let them know and TRUST that you will be fair and be there in their time of need.Abide by your own STRICT code of ethics.Enforce those same principles into the minds of everyone employed directly or indirectly.Try becoming the insurance provider etc.that the insurer deserves.Try being an honest 100% integrity backed agent.Bring some honesty back into the insurance industry and do not hide behind technicalities and loop hole mumbo jumbo.
RFN-4A-LVN
golongd
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by golongd »

Find something like this http://www.miaainsurance.com in your area.
FactsofLife
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by FactsofLife »

Develop 2-3 niches as quickly as you can so that you can be seen as the insurance expert in those industries. Ideally, the niche is a growing industry and you will have markets that aggresively pursue the business. Contact the markets and ask what they can do to help you grow in the niches. This may be slow to develop, but will lead to higher and easier success in the long run.