CIC & CPCU at the same time?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

LMora
Insurance Journal Fan

CIC & CPCU at the same time?

Post by LMora »

I am scheduled to take my first CIC exam in about 3 weeks time, however the next CIC exam in my state (Florida) isn't until February 2012 so I was thinking of getting started with the CPCU in the meantime especially now realizing that with the CIC exam all you do is "show up" for 3 days then take the exam.

Would I be biting more than I can chew? Has anyone done this?

EDIT* If I did go ahead with my original plan, I would be using the Keir Study Aid for the CPCU.
gregsmith5
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CIC & CPCU at the same time?

Post by gregsmith5 »

If you have the time go for it, they are not that hard.
You should look around Florida, I would think they would be runnung a C$C every week - those folks like that $425 a course.
Don't but any of the study guides, get the books and read them - CPCU is, at best, a 200 level course.
Erik M. Olsen, CIC
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Erik M. Olsen, CIC »

Both programs are worthwhile, and can certainly be pursued concurrently! However, don't underestimate the difficulty of the CIC exams. Just "showing up" at the class and absorbing information will not guarantee a passing grade on the exam. They are not easy. Some of the most experienced and brightest insurance people I know have failed an exam and had to repeat the course. Many CIC's will tell you that taking one of the courses is tantamount to being run over by a train and then being asked to remember each passenger's name!

Ideally, if you can obtain a CIC book from a previous course and take time studying it, you will certainly be better prepared for the "big dance" on Saturday afternoon.
alx730
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by alx730 »

You don't need to do any extra studying before a CIC (or CRM for that matter) course. You DO, however, have to show up everyday with an open mind and eager to learn, pay attention (it can get to be a long day after the first 7 hours), do a little review each night, and study hard the night before. Get rest the night before the exam and you should be fine.

Take advantage of the proctors of your courses. The National Alliance does a wonderful job of having extremely experienced teachers and, for the most part, they are approachable and willing to talk about the industry and your possible future in it. Good luck.
Alex S. Holtze, ARM, CRM, CIC
Sales Manager
Gaslamp Insurance Services
San Diego, CA
alx730
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by alx730 »

PS - As long as the CIC course week wouldn't impede your CPCU study/exam schedule, it really wouldn't have any bearing on the latter. It sounds as if you want to do this quickly. If you have the monetary where-with-all and time, why not just fly around the country... in 5 weeks you'd have your designation. I did the 9 courses for both SCIC designations in just over two years.
Alex S. Holtze, ARM, CRM, CIC
Sales Manager
Gaslamp Insurance Services
San Diego, CA
LMora
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by LMora »

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. And your suggestions were exactly what I was thinking, doing both concurrently is achievable. I'll be reporting back with regular updates and if anyone has questions such as I did, feel free to pm me - be glad to help.
BrianBaughman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by BrianBaughman »

LMora, while I don't have my CIC yet, I did just complete the CPCU designation. My only word of advice would be this: find a group of people to keep you accountable, preferably a class. This may be hard outside of large metropolitan area, but do what you can. The local CPCU society will try to help you. They need members.

I took half of my classes in the LA area, with a teacher who was very knowledgeable and a class that was engaged. The other half were on my own following a move out of state. Once you are on your own it can be tempting to put off the next class. There are thousands of people who are "still working" on their CPCU after many years. Some classes like Accounting(520) or Finance(560) are tough for the average person in our profession. Failing one can be very discouraging.

The CIC has a call center where you can ask coverage questions. You(or your employer) are also going to pay 400 bucks a month for this privilege. CPCU is more work, but you'll never shell out another dollar again. Obviously I carry a bias, but so will every employer/boss your run into. Those with CPCU will swear by it, while those with CIC will do the same. I like to think of it like Ford/Chevy people constantly fighting over who makes a better car. It will never go away.

Bottom line is both carry respect, and will serve you well. Best of luck.