Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: How do you ask for a referral?

Post by Auds »

Thanks so much for the info!
hans
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by hans »

I’ve actually found that clients are pretty willing to send their friends and colleagues to me, if they happen to know someone in need of insurance. The best practice is always just to do your service at all times. There's nothing wrong with asking politely .
William Graham
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by William Graham »

Policyman

You make a good point about referrals -- it is persistency & large numbers that are needed to make a good referral program work to generate the numbers needed.

Do you include any type of gratuity as an incentive or just simple thanks?
mangroveman

Post by mangroveman »

Here is an article from my blog, on http://www.epicagentmarketing.com regarding asking for referrals. Hope this helps.
Published on 04 May 2012

Asking a customer for the names of a friend or two shouldn’t be a problem. All too often agents will NOT ask for referrals, and sit back and wait for their customer to initiate this process. This should not be the case, as a proactive approach to getting referrals will help you build a healthier insurance business faster than any other source.

What is the reason agents do not ask for referrals? I found myself pondering this question, as it is something that comes to me so naturally. I think I’ve found the answer: fear. Fear of sounding like they are desperate, fear of damaging the customer-agent relationship, fear of rejection. Whatever the fear may be, it is a fear that needs to be overcome. The most successful producers and agents I know have mastered the art of referral business. There are a number of ways we can obtain referrals. Let me share my process.

I ask for referrals at least 3 times throughout the sales process. Once before the sale, once right after the sale, and once through my follow-up process.

Before the sale I would say something like:

“…and because I have done such a wonderful job for you today, you won’t have a problem telling some friends about the service you received from me at XYZ agency.”

This is a fantastic start to the process of gaining referrals, as it acts on many different levels. First, it is actually asking for additional business. Second, this positions the conversation that you will have after the sale regarding referrals, and lets the customer know you will be proactive from this regard. Besides, its not probably a customer would ever say no at this point, as long as you haven’t botched the deal before you even made the sale, in which case I would say to myself ‘that is one lucky agent.’

Directly after I have sold someone a policy is the second time I will ask for the referral. This is where the “meat-and-taters” conversation occurs about the referral process. I begin the conversation with something like “Have I done an O.K. job helping you with your insurance today?” Again, very unlikely that a customer will say ‘no,’ hopefully because you DID do a good job. Not, because the customer just isn’t bold enough to admit they weren’t satisfied. This statement positions the close of asking for referrals, which I typically say right after they reply ‘yes’ with something like: “Great! Now, the best compliment an agent can receive is a referral. Is there anyone you would like me to contact regarding their insurance?” Nine times out of ten, the customer will not be able to think of anyone at this time, but it’s a great lead-in to the third time we ask for referrals.

The third, and final time, I will ask for referrals during a sale is at the follow-up point. I send a hand-written thank-you card to every customer whose insurance I write. Along with this card is a referral form I have developed. This form can be very simple, just be sure to get the name, phone number, address, and email if possible. This allows the customer to think about people they may want to refer to you in a comfortable environment, and after they have had time to settle down from the buying process.

Now, let us not forget supporting the sale either. In insurance, you should support the sale you have made previously by offering outstanding customer service. It would be unlikely that a situation would present itself when asking for a referral before customer service work is to be done. However, I would do steps 2 and 3 for every customer I encounter during my customer service work.

Remember, referrals need to be earned, and should never be expected. It is not the customer’s duty to send you business. You must prove that you will treat the folks they send to you with the utmost care, and this is done by treating the referrer with the utmost care.

Well, I’ll sign off for now. Have a great time out there, and as always…Happy Selling!
For information on Agent/Agency Marketing and Sales vist http://www.epicagentmarketing.com.
johnsharp

Post by johnsharp »

Here are some ideas on referral programs and how to get more referrals.

http://agencyupdates.com/creating-your- ... s-program/

If you want any other referral program ideas let me know. I have several of them and will be happy to share them with you.
John Sharp
Mega Agency Marketing
http://agencyupdates.com
"59 Ways To Attract All The Insurance Clients You Need"
Michael Jans
Insurance Journal Fan

The Ultimate Referral Process - 3 FREE Training Videos

Post by Michael Jans »

Hey everyone, here are 3 free training videos I posted on my blog. In this series I show you how to get two to three times more referrals within 90 days if you follow the steps in these videos:

1. The Ultimate Referral Process - Part 1 http://www.agencyrevolution.com/blog/en ... ess-part-1

2. The Ultimate Referral Process - Part 2 http://www.agencyrevolution.com/blog/en ... ess-part-2

3. The Ultimate Referral Process - Part 3 http://www.agencyrevolution.com/blog/en ... ess-part-3

Let me know what you think!

-Michael Jans
BeatrixLewis

Post by BeatrixLewis »

Leads is another source of clients but I wouldn't go there. Referral is definitely much better and more reliable. The first thing you should do is get over your squeamishness and make it a habit to ask for referrals. When you have free time you can make a referral script, make it direct and ask for names. Make it short but concise. Leaving a card to your client is not just a nice gesture but also a great way to expand your network. In this way, your clients can pass your contact details much easier. When asking for referrals it's more appropriate to do it face-to-face because the other person is more likely to do something for you if you're right there in front of them. And it is a no-no to ask a referral while presenting the bill to your client. I hope you can get past your shyness and think about all the clients you can get once you've overcome this. I hope these things can help you. Good luck!