MERCURY INSURANCE QUESTION (CA)

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

MERCURY INSURANCE QUESTION (CA)

Post by JAM »

Does comp, collusion and liability extend to rental cars on Mercury policies?
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
HarrisburgAgent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: MERCURY INSURANCE QUESTION (CA)

Post by HarrisburgAgent »

Pull up the coverage form and read through it. Not trying to be mean, but that's the only way to know for sure. If you could provide some specifics (on a standard ISO form, rental car is considered a private passenger auto by definition, insured has full physical damage on their scheduled units, where vehicle is being rented and for how long...) someone might be able to assist.
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

We do not have mercury. I need the info for sales etc.. For example I know that non listed driver liability drops to state minimums in CA. I had also heard that their coverage does not extend to rental cars, just wanted to verify. if anyone knows i appreciate the info.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
bwjames
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bwjames »

It usually does with Mercury. But Mercury writes business under at least 3 different company names in California, and polices change from time to time. You need to know the policy edition, the issuing company, and in addition to being listed as a driver on the policy, you need to know whether or not the proposed driver is the named insured, a relative of the named insured, or a non-related, but listed driver (such as a roommate).

In general, if the person is a family member of the Named Insured, is listed on the policy, and resides in the Named Insured's Household, then Collision, Comprehensive and Liability coverage should transfer. If the driver is not a family member, but is still listed on the policy (roommate) I would not assume coverage without reading the policy form or knowing exactly which policy you are dealing with.

New business policies will likely cover a registerred domestic partner of the Named Insured, as well as non-family members (so long as they are listed on the policy and reside with the Named Insured) but some older Mercury policies will not.