Back Into Insurance

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Back Into Insurance

Post by kevinraz »

Back in 2008 I decided to step out of the insurance arena & go into ministry. It's been a good run but I have kids going to college soon & need to start funding the 401k again so I'm looking to get back into the insurance industry.

I'm doing okay at getting interviews but can't seem to land any offers. I have 15 years of experience both on the agency & company side. I started with Farmers (yup, one of the many who has left FIG) & also worked at a large independent agency. I've sold auto, home, life, long term care and small & medium commercial accounts.

As an underwriter (Hartford) I specialized in technology for middle market & also wrote a lot of general risks in small commercial - contractors, manufacturing, retail, real estate, schools, etc.

I have the AU designation and have kept up my CIC at my own expense thinking I might need it again someday. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying Hartford but the HR people keep changing & nothing going on there yet. Near Seattle now, would prefer to be back in Chicago but am open to right opportunity almost anywhere.

Thanks,

Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Back Into Insurance

Post by lonestar »

Kevin, if you decided to look at the Dallas area, I would like to talk to you. I am looking for the right person to bring on as a producer. I am an IA with many direct appointments, and like you, I am an ex-FIG agent.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Back Into Insurance

Post by d's insurance store »

Kevin, you're sounding like you want back into the corporate world with salary, benefits and the mentioned 401K. If that's the case, you're just going to have to be patient and persistant, as the corporate world has shifted its axis since 2008. I can recommend the Richard Boles book, 'What Color is Your Parachute'...the bible for those looking for work.

If I'm reading your posting in the wrong way and indeed you'd be open to a sales job, then that should be a whole lot easier to find because most of those positions are close to commission only and the employer risk is minimal...heck, you've already received an offer to work in Dallas from your post. But sales it a lot tougher, as you're probably well aware. And, the personal lines, small commercial marketplace has also changed dramatically since '08.

I think I'd stick with my recommendation to read that book, do some self analysis and target specific jobs and areas of expertise. Good luck.