Job advice...please help!

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

waynenewton
Insurance Journal Fan

Job advice...please help!

Post by waynenewton »

I've been in the industry and a little over six years and have been on the claims side of things, handling both personal and commercial property claims. I've been a claims rep and really had no desire to promote up to a claims supervisor/manager.

I'm completely worn out and tired of handling claims. I'm tired of complaining customers who are willing to lie and do whatever they can to get what they want, even if that means going above or around you. I'm tired of being micromanaged and feeling like I'm on call 24 hours a day. I recently took a couple of days with my wife and couldn't even enjoy my time away because I was thinking about claims, complaining customers, etc.

Long and short of it, this has completely brought me down and I finally admitted to my wife last night that my frustration and hatred of my job is causing a rift in our marriage. I want to stay in the industry but I have to get out of claims. Anybody have any suggestions or advice for me? Anybody else been in claims and decided to take another route within the industry? How did it work out for you?
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Job advice...please help!

Post by Big Dog »

Disclaimer - the opinions that follow come from someone that worked over 25 years in the insurance industry - both on the agency/brokerage (both small and large) side as an account manager and on the company side as a commercial underwriter. Admittedly, my views are biased...but they're usually right.

Each facet of the industry has it's issues. As an underwriter, you'll have agents wanting you to cut the price, provide coverages that you otherwise normally wouldn't, hounding you, etc. As an account manager on the brokerage side, you've got account exec's making unreasonable demands (and you usually know more about the insured and coverages than they do).

After 25+ years in the industry, I made a break to the "client side" and work in risk management. It's a lot more enjoyable and fulfilling than working on the industry side. You might also consider looking into public adjusting - where you're working for the client and can take a more impartial view.
SookieStackhouse
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by SookieStackhouse »

If possible, I would suggest getting out of the industry if you can. I have been in this industry on the retail brokerage side as an Account Executive/CSR for about 24 years and I dream of doing ANYTHING else. No job is worth the stress that you are describing, ESPECIALLY if it's interfering with your personal life and your marriage! Think about what is really important in life.
BHoh
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by BHoh »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Last edited by BHoh on Fri May 13, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sacman
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sacman »

First question is what do you like to do and what do you see yourself doing?

What is you skill set that you would like to use and what would you like to learn?

There are a multitude of options within the industry.
From accounting to marketing. From sales to training.
From underwriting to product development.

Claims has been a launching point of MANY different areas and career paths.
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

I'm going to be more honest here than I probably should be but I thought it would help out.....In 11plus years in insurance, 10 of those in claims. Four of those years as a supervisor in claims at one of the largest insurance companies in the US. Claims has been the start to many great careers but it also has an ugly side to it as well.

I've noticed that over the years my temper has gotten shorter and at times I can be just down right not nice. In talking with some of the people I've worked with over the years that are not in claims any longer, they have all told me the same thing....get out of claims as that is the reason you like this as they said that they got the same way too.

Don't get me wrong, claims is rewarding and a great job. I like it quite a bit. It's time for a change though, and thus the reason I am pondering getting out of claims. My advice to the OP - look to get out. I know what you are going through. I've seen people literally blow up at the work place and lose it to the point where they leave and don't come back. I've never had it that bad but I do see how this can happen in claims.