Calling all experienced MGAs...is this a fair deal?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

youngun58
Insurance Journal Fan

Calling all experienced MGAs...is this a fair deal?

Post by youngun58 »

I have an opportunity to enter into a marketing agreement with an established independent agency. I am going to list as follows the circumstances, info about me, the agency and details of the agreement. I would like opinions from you experienced agents, and MGAS in regards to if this is a fair and equitable agreement.

About me.....I have been licensed in life and health since 1983, operated a one man s-corp for 10 yrs that focused on a niche payroll market I developed in which I marketed term and UL, short term disabilty, and cancer/icu coverage. After which I worked for 5 years as a financial services rep with a major ins co, obtained my 6 and 63 securities licenses , as well as P & C.
I never did much P & C business while a financial services rep. However, my last year was spent working for primarily a P&C agency, where for the first time I begin to learn and market in the commercial side of P & C. I left that firm 3 months ago and where I'm at presently is basically...experienced and confident at developing and driving small to medium sized commercial accounts via phone cold call and B2B in person, ok with simple BOP coverages, still on a learning curve with
larger, more complex, WComp, GL, and surplus lines cases.

About the agency.....basically a independent focused on primarily personal lines P & C, established in larger metro area for 20 yrs...though focused on personal...has good existing contracts with solid carriers...both for personal and commercial.....good set up with surplus lines sources when I need them. What they are looking for is basically added income from production of 1099 agents that they can partner with.

About the commission split.....this is straight commission btw...no benefits, salary, etc., straight 1099 contractor . . My first yr commission split is 70% of total first yr. commission,and 50% of the renewals thereafter. Same commission on rewrites if I do it, or I get 25% if the agency does it. I can buy out my book and leave when ever I choose, by paying 25% of whatever the annual COMMISSION (not premium) is when I leave. I don't have to come up with a lump amount of the 25%, we can work out a % of the book deducted monthly till the 25 % is reached or split off 25% of the policies to the compensate the agency. Bottomline is ...I have an opportunity to own my book as I develop it and take it with me if I leave.

I have to service my book...for example, commercial accounts needing certificates...I have to handle. I will have to handle most all of my marketing expenses, the agency will provide a place to work, a desk, computer, access via internet to all the carriers' systems, access to ams 360, detailed commission statements, etc., etc.

What do you think? I am simply looking for a place where I can continue my development of my knowledge of the commercial side of the P&C business, and work on the personal as well, have automony, and build a business that I can stay put where it is at if I choose, or go in another direction and have something to show for all my hard work after perhaps years...if I so decide to. Please ask me any questions/ additional info.. you may have. Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments.
youngun58
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Calling all experienced MGAs...is this a fair deal?

Post by youngun58 »

Thanks for all your help and feedback.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

I think the fact that you are responsible for your own marketing, sales and service is an issue. You can't do all three well, and so what would likely end up happening is the service suffers...which irritates your current clients, and hurts your renewal book. But, if you are unemployed now, it's better than being unemployed.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
haylee
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by haylee »

Jump at that opportunity. I have owned several retail agencies and am a commission only employee should only make 30% since they are handling all of your office and system expenses not to mention utilities ect. You could never buy a book for 1/4 of the commissions most go for 2 times the book. You are looking at a great opportunity and have nothing to loose and alot that you could gain. Make sure you get it in writing that you can purchase your book for 25% at anytime. GOOD LUCK!
youngun58
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by youngun58 »

Thanks Ladybroker and haylee for your input. I am working now in this arrangement. I agree haylee the offer is attractive termswise and found the other most common commission splits and buy out terms much less generous as you point out. I hear you Ladybroker regarding the juggling act I will face but I suppose I will find a way....right now..having some service issues might be a good thing as it would mean I writing alot of business. Again...thanks for your time and good luck to you as well.
jackwehoca
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jackwehoca »

Why not see if you can pay one of the current CSR's at the agency to handle cert requests on his/her own time or hire an outside CSR on a part-time basis to start. Don't ever let your sales efforts take a back seat. Customer Service is important but without clients, you won't need to have customer service (and there is a certain percentage that will never be happy no matter how much service you give them). With that commission split, you should be able to afford the above-mentioned alternatives once it begins to backlog your sales efforts.