Signing up for an insurance directory

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Robert742
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Signing up for an insurance directory

Post by Robert742 »

I'm interested in agent feedback. My website provides consumer information on insurance companies & auto, home, & life insurance. When it comes to life insurance, I think the public is best served if they include an independent agent specializing in life insurance, before they buy a policy. I'm planning to implement an insurance agent directory, so people can find independent life insurance agents in their area.

I'm considering charging agents $5 a year for a listing and a backlink in my directory. My website is still less than two years old, and does not have the high page rank associated with an "authority" website, but it would still be a link from a highly relevant website, to help with SEO. Also, it may not generate many leads, but what leads it does generate should be of good quality.

Would independent life insurance agents be willing to pay this nominal fee? Do you think a service like this has value to the agent?
Complaint & customer satisfaction ratings for all the leading home & auto insurance companies in the USA
http://www.smartshopyourcarinsurance.com
sirkarl101
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Signing up for an insurance directory

Post by sirkarl101 »

Hello,
I am a domainer. Unless you have your name branded well. At least page one position one two or three. I believe there would be limited marketing capability. Did you do research in the selection of your domain name? For instance I just bought a domain that has an exact type in per month of 9,900 searches in the U.S. The CPC or cost per click is $50.00. Thought the extension is .TV it does not mater as getting the term or phrase ranked is all that matters. Insurance is very competitive so to get an insurance domain ranked will cost some money. If you are really great and I mean really great at SEO then it is no problem. Exact Match keywords is the winning ticket it my professional opinion.
Good Luck,
Respects
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by robmejia »

Your directory seems to be promising but of course page rank and high ranks in search engine result pages would also be of value to them given the fact that they have to pay for the listing. Some may be already interested but if you work more on making your directory a sort of an authority site, more would be willing to get listed
BeatrixLewis

Post by BeatrixLewis »

It's true that a high page rank and being an authority site is more attractive but I also believe that content is a major key here. So personally, I'm willing to take the risk and pay $5 a year to get listed in your website as long as the listings are relevant to my website. I'm more concerned with the quality of the backlink that I will get for my website, the exposure and the opportunity to let people know what is the cost of ltc these days. I think your directory listing will remain beneficial to insurance companies as long as you control the approval of websites. I mean just stick to websites that have good reputation and can be considered as good leads.
Robert742

Post by Robert742 »

Thanks for your input, Beatrix. I've decided against the directory, but I appreciate your interest.
Complaint & customer satisfaction ratings for all the leading home & auto insurance companies in the USA
http://www.smartshopyourcarinsurance.com
myagentethan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by myagentethan »

Does anybody know of some regional insurance directories?
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

I have been doing a ton of research on the usefulness of them for our own agency. I haven't found any myself that focuses on any given region that would be worthwhile. I found agentsweb.net that seems to be among the directories with the most agencies listed, but for some reason they only agencies are State Farm and Farmers. I didn't see any independents in there which gives me pause.

There are a few others out there that they say they have local agents, but when you try to get a quote you get 4 or 5 links to national direct carriers.
TheFieldman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by TheFieldman »

myagentethan wrote:Does anybody know of some regional insurance directories?
I don't know if there are any out there for the consumer. THE FIELDMAN uses The Insurance Field Publishing found at http://www.barlist.com but that is more of a directory for professionals.
MikeI
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by MikeI »

I'm buddies with the guy that runs http://www.InsuranceAgentDirectory.com - He hooked me up with a deal for the website I run and I'm sure I can get you guys the same thing. If you sign up for a free listing once you are approved reply back and tell them Mike said you could get an upgrade to enhanced (which includes a back link) and he'll get you hooked up. You have to be a licensed agent to get approved.