Unfair Competition amongst brokers

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

elecgenius
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Unfair Competition amongst brokers

Post by elecgenius »

Hello, I am in a sad situation right now. We have an office in California. There are some quite smaller competitors from an office that was just bought out by another broker because business was bad. The issue is that we do pretty well for ourselves and this other entity is sending over 2 thugs that pass out flyers and they are soliciting in front of our door. What ever customer tries to come in through our door they try to sway them into going to their agency. I know there was something regarding this in the ethics code but I cannot look it up. I tried calling the manager a few times and he just laughs it off like its a joke. I am desperate here. Who can I complaint to? Department of Insurance maybe? Its sad what this industry has come to. Sad thing is that they dont get taken seriously by our clientelle and thats how people forget that this is a profession and start nickle and dime' ing you at the purchase of a policy like if it was selling burritos at a flea market. Any suggestions? These guys just dont care because they dont have anything to loose, but I do and I do. :x
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Unfair Competition amongst brokers

Post by Big Dog »

Wow...that's a pretty desperate move on their part. If they're on a public sidewalk/public property, and not accosting or intimidating anyone, there's probably little you can do. If they threaten anyone, especially your staff, that's a different issue.

Maybe make a video of their measures and post it on YouTube showing how desperate they are. Or call a local news station and have them interview them about their tactics.
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

I agree with Big Dog... also, post on Yelp and contact the DOI. This is highly unprofessional. The ethical parts of the ins. code can be a bit subjective at times and this seems like one of those times. He is degrading the profession and makes us all look like clowns.

My guess is if you went out there with a camera and started filming them as Big Dog suggested they would leave anyway.
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by rodgwag »

I didn't know that brokers still sold policies face to face. As for clients, their moral quality never changes they just get better with the amount of assets that they have. You need large numbers, individual insureds will always be dirt bags; they don't see the value of having insurance.
Rodgwag
jackwehoca
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jackwehoca »

Private or public property notwithstanding, hire a couple of teenagers to video the activity. They know all the lesser known websites besides Yelp, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo Local, Pinterest, etc. They can edit, add narration, maybe even capture some soundbites of these guys. They might even get extra credit in school for doing an expose' on the unprofessional tactics some insurance brokers employ. If that doesn't work, I know a guy.................
Auds

Post by Auds »

Thankfully karma always has its way of coming around.. As was mentioned before, they probably are only making themselves look bad. I'd counteract it with a large sign that you post from one of your windows highlighting that these thugs have to come to your busy agency to attract customers. Thankfully you are already more established than they are and will probably see their dirty doings come to a end. If anything, feel bad for them that they are so desperate!
BeatrixLewis

Post by BeatrixLewis »

Wow! This is definitely unfair competition and what they're doing is clearly wrong. You should teach them a lesson and report this at once to the Department of Insurance. This only shows that they are desperate to gain more customers and to steal everything from you. Just do the right thing and report them, and let the authorities handle their desperate attempt to keep their business afloat. Customers are smart so no matter how persistent they are, they will surely choose a company that is more established and respects fair competition. I hope your business will continue to grow and you'll gain more customers.
INTLXS
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by INTLXS »

Take a more professional route. Contact their insurance carriers and ask if they find this business practice acceptable. Let them put pressure on the other agency to discontinue this business practice.
Shagster1261

Post by Shagster1261 »

Agreed, take the high road here... Exert YOUR ethics! Reminds me of the story of the small town barber who had a large 'franchise' shop move in right across the street from him, and bagan stealing his clients by advertising "We give $6.00 haircuts".. Well thinking swiftly the barber then put out a sign stating "We fix $6.00 haircuts"... his business was never better...
The point is you can find a way to take advantage of the situation, most people will see them for what they are and reject doing business with them. And if they do go with these thugs, you're probably well rid of them anyway!
Just my humble opinion.....
MikeI
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by MikeI »

Yikes. As frustrating as it can be the high road is going to be the best course of action. I agree with other about taking it to the carriers (source) and see where that leads.