Where Do I Find Protection Class

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

loudmouth
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by loudmouth »

I have started doing business out of my state and many of the wholesalers that I'm working with require that I have the protection class of the building on acord form. Without actually going to the property and taking measurements are there other methods of obtaining this information.

I thought the wholesalers would have tools to determine this information.
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

go to the county auditor's page and put in the location that will give you square footage
mbieniek
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by mbieniek »

what does the protection class have to do with the square footage?
VAAcctMgr
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by VAAcctMgr »

If you have access to SAGE (SilverPlume) you can find all the protection classes published there. If you have a close relationship with one of your UW's, they should also be able to help you. Hope that helps!
VAAcctMgr
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by VAAcctMgr »

Most cities now have websites and you can look under the Real Estate Assessment Section and search by property address. It will give you construction, date built, square footage, last "sale" price of the property, etc. All of this information is published public knowledge available on-line and at City/County Courthouses.
loudmouth
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by loudmouth »

info has been vary helpful. My understanding was that hte UW would be able to obtain this information. As an UW they should be verifing the info on the Acord apps.
ISOWriter

Post by ISOWriter »

-Deleted Post-
Last edited by ISOWriter on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

protection class

Post by wlunday »

I know or State, Washington, has the WSRB, Washington State Rating Bureau. Their web site has all that stuff... personal and commercial protection class, maps, whatever I need for an out-of-town case. You can also call the risk's local fire station information officer and ask, they generally know.

Swymmer
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Protection class is determined by the number of miles to a fire station and the accessability of hydrants. It has not one thing to do with the square footage of a building. If your risk is located in a metro area with a fire dept within 5 miles and hydrants within 1,000 ft you're looking at a PC 2 to 5 (which incidently have exactly the same rate with every company). All you have to do is ask the client for the info. Incidently - when you write property coverage - no matter who the carrier is - you should know the protection class and put it on the app or else you are perceived by underwriters as unprofessional.
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

I think the other posters are confused and thinking of the CSP code which includes the Protection Class...as well as the construction.
miinsguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Protection Classes

Post by miinsguy »

Contact ISO and Order the paper version of Community Mitigation Classification Manual and what State. The Michigan Guide costs $125 a year.

http://www.iso.com
TheInsKid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by TheInsKid »

We use Silver Plume, (on line) have all of the states available. Great product and very easy to find any PC for any city in any state. Worth every penney.
:lol: :lol: