ARM

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

dcornett
Insurance Journal Fan

ARM

Post by dcornett »

Hello,

I'm new to the insurance industry and am considering pursuing the ARM designation. There seems to be little information about it aside from the "bare facts" and stuff posted by the Institutes. What sort of firms or specific roles value this designation? How would you compare its "respect" level, compared to both the CPCU (and other Institutes designations) and other risk management designations such as the CRM, FRM, or designations/exams specializing in enterprise risk management? I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: ARM

Post by Big Dog »

The ARM is actually a very useful insurance designation/certification. Having this could open the door to work on the "client side" as a risk manager It's probably more recognized than the CRM/FRM/etc.
dcornett
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by dcornett »

Big Dog wrote:The ARM is actually a very useful insurance designation/certification. Having this could open the door to work on the "client side" as a risk manager It's probably more recognized than the CRM/FRM/etc.
Thanks Big Dog. Since I'm new to the industry (and want to keep my underwriting options open, not just client-side), would it make more sense to get the CPCU or ARM first?

Is the CPCU recognized on the "client side" as well?
gregsmith5
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by gregsmith5 »

I have both the CPCU and ARM. In my opinion both are good, but I find I USE what I learned in the ARM much more than CPCU.
The ARM helps me figure out a risk. CPCU is a good, general insurance education but it probably won't make you any more money unless your on the company side.
dcornett
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by dcornett »

gregsmith5 wrote:I have both the CPCU and ARM. In my opinion both are good, but I find I USE what I learned in the ARM much more than CPCU.
The ARM helps me figure out a risk. CPCU is a good, general insurance education but it probably won't make you any more money unless your on the company side.
Thanks for replying. I'm actually on the company side. It's interesting to hear that the ARM helps you figure out risks-what sort of role do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I'm leaning towards CPCU right now since I believe it'll be more useful to me in my current position (which is very generalist). I have slightly less than a year of industry experience right now, and plan on pursuing a designation in the next month or so. What would you recommend in light of this?
gregsmith5

Post by gregsmith5 »

I'm in marketing and help agents write business.
gregsmith5

Post by gregsmith5 »

If you work for a company go for the CPCU - start with your strongest subject, take them in backwards order and take two at a time - you can whip through it in a couple of years.