Selling a complementary product alongside insurance policies

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

wiseleo
Insurance Journal Fan

Selling a complementary product alongside insurance policies

Post by wiseleo »

I've helped several customers to rebuild their businesses after they suffered catastrophic loss.

From what I've experienced when working with these clients as a disaster recovery vendor, insurance claims can take quite a long time to resolve and the claim amounts tend to increase the longer the business is not operating.

I would like to offer a product to be sold by insurance agents who sell commercial property and business interruption insurance today. The product would consist of a package of technology services and associated hardware along with an optional recurring subscription for services. It should reduce the claim amount and make the customers much better prepared for such events.

The pitch would be something similar to "Rebuild your critical information technology infrastructure without data loss in less than a day even if your entire office goes up in flames".

My questions for you are:

1. If it's not an insurance product, is it even legal for you to sell a complementary product? What are the pitfalls with my approach? I am seeing this in a scenario similar to how extended warranties are sold when someone purchases a vehicle at the dealership by the finance department.
2. What commission structure would make it attractive for you to sell this? The product includes a one-time project with an optional recurring service. The price range for one-time project will be starting at $1000. I have not yet defined the recurring service premiums, but they will likely start at $240/mo.
3. Would something like this even be of interest your existing customers?

In the interests of keeping this question non-spammy, I will not mention my website (as of this initial writing, I had no signature either). :)

Thank you very much for your insight. I subscribed to the post to be notified of updates but will listen to your feedback first.
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Selling a complementary product alongside insurance poli

Post by robmejia »

Answer to number 3 is Yes. For number 1, I think as long as the complementary product is not highly similar and conflicting with what you originally sell, then maybe it's ok. For number 2, it would depend on the product. Usually products which are more difficult to sell or has high competitions provide better commissions
wiseleo
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Selling a complementary product alongside insurance poli

Post by wiseleo »

Thank you, Rob.

I sponsored a regional insurance trade show earlier this month and got some interesting feedback. My takeaway from that was that I needed to make it very easy to sell and my offer of 20% commission was sufficient.