Creating a business plan

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

insurastone
Insurance Journal Fan

Creating a business plan

Post by insurastone »

Hi Group,

First time post and I wanted to ask about creating a business plan for my agency of 5 years in Seattle. We have had great growth and now I need to increase the amount of measured growth or focus my growth in certain markets, we are a captive agency with PC/LH and investments. Currently we have around 650 clients and about $675,000 in pc renewals.

Do you guys have any sample plans or could I look at your existing business plan to get some ideas on how to structure mine. 90% of my clients come in on referral or as the result of doing a review with an existing client.

Any ideas or samples are appreciated
Swymmer
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Creating a business plan

Post by Swymmer »

A business plan is just a starting point. You mention wanting to have "measured growth". I was at the same point, almost exactly as you, 5 years ago... I suggest you contact Michael Jans at Insurance Profit Systems / Agency Revolution in Bend, Oregon for a candid discussion if their style of coaching would work for you. I was hesitant at first, talked with some of the references, etc. What a World of difference some focused coaching and activity can make. Oh, yeah, the business plan becomes much easier to visualize and design, too.

Wayne Lunday, LUTCF, CLU, ChFC
kl.skinner
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Creating a business plan

Post by kl.skinner »

The Small Business Administration has a great database of business advice to browse through. They also have pages on helping create a business plan, structures, etc. A local office may have plans to browse through. Also, any major universities in your area with an MBA program will probably have some available in their library to look at.

http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation- ... iness-plan This is the SBA's page on how to write one.

Good luck!