Query on Your Work Exclusion under CGL

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Porsh
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Query on Your Work Exclusion under CGL

Post by Porsh »

Exclusion J (2) says "this insurance does not apply to property damage to premises you sell, give away or abandon, if hte property damage arising out of any part of those premises", then the exception says " this exclusion does not apply if the premises are "your work" and were never occupied, rented or held for rental by you'.

If A is one contractor and built one building, however, due to finacial pressure, A sold the premises to others (A never occupay, rent or held the building for rental). Due to the defective design of electric line, the building was burned down soon.

Based on this exception, my understanding is that the cost to repaire the building shall be covered. Am I correct?

Then the folliwng exclusion I "Damage to your work" says "this insurance does not apply to property damage to your work arising out of it or any part of it and included in the products-completed operation hazard", the following exception says "this exclusion does not apply if the damaged work or work out of which the damage arises was performed on your behalf by a sub-contractor".

Thus, Exclusion I seems conflict with Exception to Exclusion J(2), I have no idea whether the property damage to the building shall be covered or excluded? and if A does not sell, but give away or abandon the building, any difference on the result?