Non Profits

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

JSJAG
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JSJAG »

Does anyone remember that I said I was going to start investigating the advocates. Well, I just received my first form 990 from the IRS. It is Consumer Federation of America's 990. I need to get a job there. It is a place your name on form 990 Schedule 5 as working 19+ hours a week and make over $44,000 and $4,500 in employee benefit plans. Not bad for a non profit. Then there is the lobbying expenditures: $13,925 to influence public opinion and $69,125 for direct lobbying to influence a legislative body. Research and networking $189,184. Gee wouldn't I like to be able to spend like that to "network". Then there's line 40, conferences, conventions and meetings $149,428.

I started reviewing multiple other "consumer advocate" groups and found interesting stuff. Things like there was one advocacy group that held workshops to train people about conducting banking and paid $37,475 in stipends to non-profit agencies that assisted with this project.

It seems to be a lot of money floating about in "non" profit. But we already knew that ...didn't we. It's just so very funny how these people with money flowing all around them can take punches at the percentage of commission we get paid.

I've only started this hunt. My bird dog smells some stuff hidden in the bushes that needs to be looked at.