Newly Independent Agent - Best Carrier Access Platform

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

cbevington
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Newly Independent Agent - Best Carrier Access Platform

Post by cbevington »

Hello group. I am a one man shop and have been independent for just a few months. Located in California. Looking for a cost effective way to access P&C Carriers. Comparative rater partnered with a GA vs. online wholesaler. The online wholesaler I am using often requires Acord forms filled out for commercial apps. Is there a silver bullet out there to quickly quote, get a quick turnaround and bind policies that is also cost effective for a small operation? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Newly Independent Agent - Best Carrier Access Platform

Post by d's insurance store »

I'm confused...'comparative rater w/GA vs. online wholesaler'...what do you mean by that? And I can't tell from your post if you're doing Personal Lines or Commercial LInes or both.

The reality is for a one person shop, PL generally doesn't require Acord forms so long as you've either got direct appointment access or have affiliated with one of the many GA's dealing with personal lines who have on line quote ability. Often times those platforms will also print out Acord forms for signatures.

For Commercial LInes, with limited exception to direct appointments and on line quote and submit functions, you're going to need some kind of access to the Acord library for submissions. Sometimes the Acord forms are made available as part of a comparative rater subscription or it can be purchased from a vendor as a stand alone program. And sometimes GA's will have Acord forms available from their websites that can be filled in on line and printed or transmitted electronically.

Dealing with most GA's, you might not have direct quote access except for some BOP type products and Comm'l Auto. Direct appointments generally give full quote access and bind authority for the portfolio of products you're appointed for.

Good luck.
JohnnyLaw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JohnnyLaw »

Hi there I have been a independent one arm paper hanger for several years in Austin TX. I go through a cluster arrangement for access to many admit markets. I pay a $300 monthly fee and get 65% commission if I use their companies I always have to fill out the Accords. I use "Doris" for software and like it so for as it is internet based (helps if you contract out a order for 150 certs., etc. to another party to help with. However I do not like the accounting function real well of their software. I use several surplus lines companies also and these all require the Accords and sometimes supplemental apps also. I go direct with Progressive and Foremost on the PL side, but again have access to other admit markets through the above mentioned arrangement. For Bonds I use SureTec and do them on-line. I do not know if you will ever be able to ditch the accord forms without going direct, but learn to do them fast. Have found that the best way to get fast turn around is to get a personal relationship with underwriters and BE NICE, even if you need something like yesterday. If a underwriter helps you bag a elephant do something nice for them send flowers, gift certs, etc. Also I will say that being a one man shop is challenging at times; seems like it is either almost out of control with service issues or can be dead. Getting a good medium flow is something that I have not mastered and hope you do.
CRB
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by CRB »

You should contact Consolidated Agency Partners (CAP); being a one-man shop and relatively new to the independent space makes you a perfect fit for them. They have access to a very extensive list of preferred carrier markets for personal lines, commercial lines, workers comp and bonds, with no production requirements for their members and you own 100% of your book of business. Very cost effective too.

http://capnet-1.com/
todd32
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by todd32 »

Try RIC Insurance, our website address is http://www.ric-ins.com. The Bind Zone is an online rater, were you can quote Personal Lines, Commercial Lines, Commercial Auto, and WC. We also have Surplus Lines, Professional Lines, Bonds, and we are an access partner for the State Fund.
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

cbevington wrote:Hello group. I am a one man shop and have been independent for just a few months. Located in California. Looking for a cost effective way to access P&C Carriers. Comparative rater partnered with a GA vs. online wholesaler. The online wholesaler I am using often requires Acord forms filled out for commercial apps. Is there a silver bullet out there to quickly quote, get a quick turnaround and bind policies that is also cost effective for a small operation? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The absolute best way for a new agency to get carrier appointments is to become a member of a cluster, alliance or other types of agency networks. There are over 100 of these groups, most now give you direct access and appointment to a number of carriers. Some groups charge a monthly fee, some take a very small percentage, however you will make out over the long term because they pay most pay generous profit sharing bonuses, bonuses you will probably never be able to get on your own, let alone the carrier appointment since carriers are very strict on who they appoint. You can find a listing of these groups on my site (linked below), you can also find an carrier directory of nearly 500 carriers, with icons linking their agency appointment page.
http://www.agencyequity.com
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs
tmanning
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by tmanning »

www.piib.com check out our website - we do require you have experience on the independent side.

$850 a month. You keep 100% of the commission. 90% of the Profit Sharing.

We have 152 affiliates in California.
Tiffany Bertolini
tiffany@piib.com