AICPCU ARM Program Breadth and Scope

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

john_of_kc
Insurance Journal Fan

AICPCU ARM Program Breadth and Scope

Post by john_of_kc »

I am a CPA/CFE Forensic Accountant who has recently started working in Fraud Management for an international P&C Insurer dealing in a very specific type of insurance. I conduct fraud investigations, identify control weaknesses, develop root causes analysis reports, and work with law enforcement and corporate legal to resolve identified issues. I do not have any insurance designations, but I successfully wrote all four CPA exams on my first attempt in late 2011 and early 2012. The team I work for falls under the program management umbrella, and is tied closely with the risk management function. I am researching the ARM program and was wondering if it strictly is designed for identifying and mitigating risks for insureds, or does it cover identifying risk at the enterprise level. Is there a significant coverage of topics germane to my position within the company I work for? Is the program very challenging (I am not afraid of challenging exams, but I would like to measure how much of a time commitment it will be over the next year).

Thank you.
brookemarker
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: AICPCU ARM Program Breadth and Scope

Post by brookemarker »

I earned the ARM in 2014.
It is strongly tied with ERM (Enterprise Wide Risk Management).
Main topics are choosing risk financiang options, methods of identifying risks, commercial and personal loss exposures.

It was moderately difficult. It was heavy in math. This would come natural to someone with a CPA.
There was emphasis on choosing investments and computing present and future values.

I failed ARM 55 the first time. You must know the textbook by heart. The exam questions are made so that regardless of what experience you have, you still have to know the book to pass.