Non-for-profit Volunteer Coverge

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

CoJones
Insurance Journal Addict

Non-for-profit Volunteer Coverge

Post by CoJones »

I have Non-for profit that use volunteer's to help out at various events during the year. They currently carry GL,WC D&O.
In your opinion, is there any coverage missing. They do not own a building and really have no Personal Property.

Thanks
Cory
CoJones
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Non-for-profit Volunteer Coverge

Post by CoJones »

Thanks.. Would the Med pay be covered on the GL ?
Producer #1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Producer #1 »

I think that if a person is a volunteer, they are clearly volunteering their time. Additionally, they are also volunteering their well-being. In other words, I think its fine and dandy that volunteers are not included in Med Pay.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

Hartford writes a WC policy for us on a non-profit and there is an extension endorsement that includes volunteers.
CoJones
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CoJones »

yoyowordup wrote:Hartford writes a WC policy for us on a non-profit and there is an extension endorsement that includes volunteers.
That's great new's.. We have the WC with Hartford as well. Big help!!!!!
BKCPCU
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by BKCPCU »

C'mon insurance professionals. Are you not aware the GL Medical Payments coverage provides Med Pay for volunteers as an exception to the Med Pay exclusion for 'any insured'? The insurers that we do business with that have programs for non-profits typically include coverage extensions that, amongst others, bump the Med Pay up to fairly high levels, in the $10,000-$20,000 range. Much easier than trying to track hours, assign an assumed payroll for the volunteers, and pay an extra premium that most non-profits, on their tight budgets, couldn't afford.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

BKCPCU wrote:C'mon insurance professionals. Are you not aware the GL Medical Payments coverage provides Med Pay for volunteers as an exception to the Med Pay exclusion for 'any insured'? The insurers that we do business with that have programs for non-profits typically include coverage extensions that, amongst others, bump the Med Pay up to fairly high levels, in the $10,000-$20,000 range. Much easier than trying to track hours, assign an assumed payroll for the volunteers, and pay an extra premium that most non-profits, on their tight budgets, couldn't afford.

$20k Med Pay is great until they get into an auto accident. I'd much rather have volunteers covered under the work comp policy.
CH@Ins4nonprofits
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by CH@Ins4nonprofits »

PB1 has it right. Volunteer accident coverage is less expensive than WC (when you can get it) and more readily available. GL policies should also be endorsed to provide med-pay for volunteers as an exception to the med-pay exclusion on "insureds".
des5500
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by des5500 »

To yoyowordup: Automobile accident would go the the automobile carrier first for the volunteer, I think, unless something is in place for the WC. Issues could still exist if it is a catastrophe claim but the WC policy would need special wording including volunteers as employees, if it were to respond. Hartford endorsement for non-profits would be a better approach to clarify. From a claims perspective, consider a highly paid physician or attorney injured in an accident as a volunteer. Issue is often not medical but rather lost income during recovery under workers comp, especially for no income to the carrier for the volunteer exposure.
insuranceismylife
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by insuranceismylife »

I would make sure that the D&O includes coverage for EPL.
Errors and omissions insurance for insurance agents
http://www.insurance-agents-errors-omissions.com
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

Auto Coverage would NOT be first if the volunteer was driving their own car, at fault and had no med pay.
des5500 wrote:To yoyowordup: Automobile accident would go the the automobile carrier first for the volunteer, I think, unless something is in place for the WC. Issues could still exist if it is a catastrophe claim but the WC policy would need special wording including volunteers as employees, if it were to respond. Hartford endorsement for non-profits would be a better approach to clarify. From a claims perspective, consider a highly paid physician or attorney injured in an accident as a volunteer. Issue is often not medical but rather lost income during recovery under workers comp, especially for no income to the carrier for the volunteer exposure.
CoJones
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CoJones »

yoyowordup wrote:Hartford writes a WC policy for us on a non-profit and there is an extension endorsement that includes volunteers.
Do you have the extenstion endorsement number.. Thanks
Producer #1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Producer #1 »

There are lots of potential gaps... Crime is one of them. I did not see you had Crime listed as a coverage they carry. But if they use lots of volunteers, I bet they also have lots of fundraisers. They need a Crime Policy, but one that includes Volunteers. Remember that Employee Dishonesty only covers employees,,, unless there is a form added to include volunteers.

Also, if your GL policy includes Hired and Non Owned Autos, this may not include volunteers. Certainly not if they ever transport clients on the Non-Profit’s behalf. There is an ISO form that could be added to an auto policy to include Volunteers on the HaNO Auto coverage.

Finally, if your policy includes Abuse and Professional… remember that those are not ISO forms, so read the fine print. Are volunteers included as Insureds on those policies?

SECURA Insurance has a division, SECURA Specialty. If you are in a state that SECURA writes, then use them. Their underwriters really know their stuff when it comes to insuring Non-Profits.