Alternative to hotels for displaced clientele

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

icansolvetheproblem
Insurance Journal Fan

Alternative to hotels for displaced clientele

Post by icansolvetheproblem »

Hello, I'm new to this site, thanks for so many excellent comments on so many topics.

Here's my question, hopefully someone can steer me in the best direction:

My question is - how do I best reach insurance providers to inform them of my luxury rental property being available for short term stays? Several families who've been displaced in the past had to contact their insurance company to ask for coverage for this rather than a hotel expenditure.

I have a Lake Washington waterfront home in the Seattle area that I have been renting out. I spend my winters in San Diego and rather than leave the home vacant, I've recently been renting it for short and medium term stays. It's close to Microsoft, a few minutes from downtown Seattle, three bedrooms, attached garage, 4kft2, master bath with bidet, hardwood floors, wheelchair accessible, two fire places, just a beautiful home. My best rentals have always come from people who have just experienced a catastrophe that has forced them out of their home. Insurance puts them up in a hotel for a month or two or more while their home is repaired. People in this situation with large families, pets, children, etc, have in the past asked their agent to put them in my rental. It seems to be more cost effective than a hotel. I like the zero headache of not worrying about background checks, etc.

I've been scratching my head wondering the best way to get the information out there about my property and the benefits to insurers.

Your comments and advice are very appreciated.

Thank you.

Kevin W